Equipment and Support
Equipment used in almost all Classroom Technology Support managed rooms is a standard eRoom podium set up that includes projection, internet connected computers, and media playback controlled by a touch panel on the podium.
Anyone using a room is expected to be able to operate the equipment, or have a TA that is familiar with the equipment available to assist them as stated in Room and Equipment Use requirements. Outside vendors can also be contacted if you would like to have an A/V technician present during your event, or will need to request equipment that we are not able to provide; please see below for a list of vendors. Training on the equipment is available in many forms:
Additional services that can be requested from CTS are:
- The Podium and A/V Tutorial for eRooms has full information on using this equipment.
- A laminated quick reference guide is kept on each podium, or you can print your own.
- If you would like hands on training please email firstname.lastname@example.org well in advance of your scheduled event with your contact and event information including the room you will be using.
- Echo360 Lecture Recording - most rooms are able to record your audio at the podium and a video of the computer screen, with many also able to record full video of the presenter/podium.
- Installation of software - all requirements must be met before non-standard software can be installed on podium or classroom computers.
- Audience Response System (ARS) - remote polling via mobile devices or laptops and a formatted PowerPoint presentation. Note that this is now provided via CCNMTL.
Reservations for either service must be requested in advance, and other requirements may apply. Please be sure to review all information on the above links.
There are currently no fees for reserving and using equipment provided by Classroom Technology Support, however all rooms booked are reported back to Columbia Finance for charge back to departments. We ask that you please do not make unnecessary requests.
Following is a quick outline of support, for full details be sure to read our Room and Equipment Use and Classroom Scheduling requirements pages.
Classroom Coordinators can assist with equipment issues that occur before, during, or after a scheduled class or event. Simply pick up the beige phone located on the wall next to each podium to automatically dial 5help as a priority call. If phone support is not able to help you immediately resolve the issue, a Classroom Coordinator will be dispatched and can typically arrive within minutes.
Audio Visual Vendor Support
The following list of companies can provide A/V support, if you would like to hire external support vendors for your events.
- JLU Event Services, David Rivera, 646-233-1347 office or 347-245-7654 mobile, David@jlueventservices.com - also offers webcasting and event and video streaming
- LIVE Events Productions, Terry Wheeler, 347-595-7977, email@example.com
- Sight & Sound Audio Visual, Inc., Richard Layton, 917-975-3238, firstname.lastname@example.org
Standard Software Installed on Podium Computers
Standard podiums are equipped with Windows computers that are able to run your presentations, provide web browsing and media playback. Each computer type has the a standard set of software programs installed; when properly requested other software can be installed as per Classroom Technology Support procedures, please see below for more information.
For a full list of software installed on other public systems in the computer labs, classrooms and Library in the Hammer building, please click here.
|Software Installed on Windows Computers
|All systems run Windows 7 with Symantec managed antivirus
|Office 2013 - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, OneNote, Publisher
- ActiveState ActiveTcl
- Adobe Reader 11
- ArcGIS 10.3.1
- Atlas TI v.5.2
- Cluster 3.0
- Cn3D 4.3
- Endnote X7
- ExamSoft - SofTest
- Flash Player
- Internet Explorer
- NetLogo 4.3.1
- NVivio 10
- Pharos Printing
- R for Windows
- SAS 9.3
- SPSS 23
- Stata 12
- Stella 9.0.1
- TurningPoint 5 for ARS
- Windows Media Player
Requesting Software Installation in Rooms
In general software can be installed when requested at least two weeks in advance via the online Software Installation form. The requester must provide proof of licensing and software installation media.
For full requirements please see the Classroom Scheduling and Software Installations Request page.