- Relevant Links
- M.S. Application
- M.S. Curriculum
- M.S. Teaching Faculty
- Professional Development
- Leadership Development
- Alumni Career Paths
- M.S. Thesis
- Academic Calendar
- International Students
- Student Financial Services
- Financial Aid
- Life in NYC & CUMC
- How Do I Apply?
- CUMC Map and Transportation
- Frequently Asked Questions
- NYC Links
- The effect of fatty acids on osteoclastogenesis by Saleem Azad; Mentor: Ulrike Schulze-Spate, DMD, PhD.
- Characterization of a genetic interaction and its relationship to the proteasome and the ESCRT function in Niemann Pick type C by Giselle Dominguez; Mentors: Andrew B. Munkacsi, PhD, Stephen L. Sturley, PhD.
- Caspase-2 activation and associated death protein pathways by Virginia Falvello; Mentor: Carol Troy, MD, PhD.
- Macrophages-specific expressed matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP9) is a major contributor to lung cancer metastasis by Chien-Hung Gow, MD; Mentor: Jeanine D’Armiento, MD, PhD.
- Mechanism by which circulating serotonin regulates osteoblast function: The role of different classes of transcription factors by Antoinette Jones; Mentor: Stavroula Kousteni, PhD.
- The short-term effects of snacking on food intake in rodents by NaNa Keum; Mentor: Joseph R. Vasselli, PhD.
- A study of the effects of two forms of berberine on body weight gain in rats by Kha Lai; Mentor: Joseph R. Vasselli, PhD.
- The role of Jagged1 in cancer by Jinzhou Li; Mentor: Darrell Yamashiro, MD, PhD.
- The role of cellular retinol-binding protein, type III (CRBP-III) in adipogenesis by Grace Luk; Mentor: Silke Vogel, PhD.
- Tubulobulbar complex alteration during spermiogenesis in RARα knockout and RARα antagonist treated testes by Arya Payan; Mentor: Sanny Chung, PhD and Debra Wolgemuth, PhD.
- Characterization of a novel alpha/beta hydrolase: ABHD type 1 by Adrianne Pike; Mentor: Silke Vogel, PhD.
- Molecular characterization on human umbilical cord blood (HUCB) derived stem cells by Albert Yang; Mentor: Mitchell Cairo, MD.
- Proportion of cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors in HIV patients in Nairobi, Kenya on highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) by James Agapoff; Mentor: Richard Deckelbaum, MD.
- Muscular Dystrophy cohort receiving Prednisone: A timeline comparison of nutritional status by Oluwatosin Akintola; Mentor: Douglas M. Sproule, MD.
- Relationship of MRI-measured bone marrow adipose tissue and dual energy absorptiometry measured bone mineral density by Peter Alarcon Manchego; Mentor: Wei Shen, MS., MD.
- fMRI brain activation responses to food stimuli in obese individuals with binge eating disorder (BED), obese individuals without BED, and lean individuals without BED following a stressor by Leora Benson; Mentors: Susan Carnell, PhD and Allan Geliebter, PhD.
- Differences in food preferences and body mass index in children classified by their neighborhood food environment and sensitivity to 6-N-propylthiouracil by Carlye Burd; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, PhD.
- Anabolic growth factor signaling in advanced heart failure: Impact of LVAD placement by Michael Chew; Mentor: Christian Schulze, MD, PhD.
- Can vitamin D supplementation decrease the mortality rate of people with schizophrenia? by Althea Crichlow; Mentor: Daniel Javitt, MD, PhD.
- Pinpointing the sites of reactive oxygen species damage in renal mitochondria by Shaun Darrah; Mentor: Hazel Szeto, MD, PhD.
- Using standard anthropometric measures to determine the physical and nutritional status of individuals with type I and type II Spinal Muscular Atrophy by Steven Davis; Mentor: Douglas M. Sproule, MD.
- Assessing children’s responsivity to food brands through the use of a picture-brand Stroop test and a laboratory meal by Bryan Deutsch; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, PhD.
- The effect of maternal HIV Status on neonatal birth weight by Elissa Finkler; Mentor: Ellen Engelson, EdD.
- The effect of capsinoids on weight loss and metabolic risk factors in calorie-restricted, overweight men and women by Ronald Fong; Mentor: Marie-Pierre St. Onge, PhD.
- Pediatric dentists’ nutritional counseling practices: A national survey by Louis Formica; Mentor: Carol Kunzel, PhD.
- 25(OH)D deficiency in patients presenting for bariatric surgery by Nicole Green; Mentor: Blandine LaFerrere, MD.
- Epicardial fat and its clinical relevance by Christine Greer; Mentor: Christian Schulze, MD, PhD.
- Surgical versus intense medical management as treatment for type 2 diabetes mellitus: comparative changes in medication as an indication of effective glycemic control by Genevieve Hayek; Mentor: Judith Korner, MD, PhD.
- Effects of aggressive nutrition on parenteral nutrition-associated cholestasis in very low birth weight (BW 500 – 1250 g) neonates by Angela Holuba; Mentor: Sudha Kashyap, MBBS, DCH.
- Reduction in brain activation in response to high calorie food cues predicts decrease in eating related outcomes following RYGB surgery by Elizabeth Hutchins; Mentor: Christopher Ochner, PhD.
- Constriction rate of the hyperautofluorescent ring in the Retinitis Pigmentosa patients by Kevin Kim; Mentor: Stephen Tsang, MD, PhD.
- Surgery versus intensive life-style and medical management: Effects on glucose control and GLP-1 by Kyla Lara; Mentor: Judith Korner, MD, PhD.
- Sleep apnea in adolescent bariatric patients by Xiaoyu Liang; Mentor: Carin Lamm, MD.
- Prevalence of vitamin D assessments in fragility fracture patients at the New York Presbyterian Hospital before and after the “Own the Bone” intervention by Arfeen Malick; Mentor: Herbert Chase, MD.
- Ginger consumption enhances the thermic effect of food and promotes satiety in overweight men by Muhammad Mansour; Mentor: Marie-Pierre St. Onge, PhD.
- Comparing Laparoscopic Gastric Banding in adults versus adolescents by Joshua Marr; Mentors: Mary DiGiorgi, MS, MPH and Marc Bessler, MD.
- The effects of preoperative supplement use on postoperative atrial fibrillation and postoperative outcomes in cardiac surgery patients by Renata Mazurek; Mentor: Michael Argenziano, MD.
- Effect of partial sleep restriction on neuronal activity in response to visual food stimuli in men and women: An fMRI study by Andrew McReynolds; Mentor: Marie-Pierre St. Onge, PhD.
- Children’s perceptions of their mothers’ body weight by Favia Merritt; Mentor: Elsa-Grace V. Giardina, MD.
- The impact of children’s dietary variety on obesity risk and eating behavior in a laboratory setting by Karol Meyermann; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, PhD.
- CD36 plays a minor role in osteoclast differentiation by Collin Samji; Mentor: Ulrike Schulze-Spate, DDS.
- The impact of left ventricular assist device (LVAD) placement on cardiac extracellular matrix remodeling in patients with advanced heart failure by Parvati Singh; Mentor: Christian Schulze, MD, PhD.
- Vitamin D recommendations for gastric bypass and laparoscopic adjustable banded patients following surgical intervention by Jordan St. John; Mentors: Mary DiGiorgi, MS, MPH and Marc Bessler, MD.
- Sleep deprivation increases energy and fat intakes and alters hormones related to appetite in normal weight men and women by Sari Tepper; Mentor: Marie-Pierre St. Onge, PhD.
- The impact of medium and long chain triglycerides on food intake and appetite-related hormone concentrations in overweight men by Xinyue Tong; Mentor: Marie-Pierre St. Onge, PhD.
- CD36 polymorphisms are associated with adiposity and fat preference in children by Christopher van Belle; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, PhD.
- A shift in food preferences: Changes in neural activation following gastric bypass surgery predict changes in desire to eat, liking, and restrained eating of food by Amy Yazdian; Mentor: Chris Ochner, PhD.
- High prevalence of CVD risk factors in HIV patients in Nairobi by Sam Zenhari; Mentor: Richard Deckelbaum, MD.
- Integration of nutrition and medicine: Enhancing medical nutrition education in the first year curriculum of Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons by Donald Apakama; Mentor: David Seres, MD.
- Earth Friends and Food Fitness: From the design and development of an interactive educational experience to the evaluation of healthful food accessibility in central Brooklyn by Debra Berry; Mentor: Pamela Koch, EdD, RD.
- Study on immigration, assimilation and nutrition in West African immigrants to New York City by Nicole Cevette; Mentor: Anne Paxton, PhD.
- CHALK community survey: Informing the development of the “Vive tu Vida/Live your Life” campaign by Sigrid Collier; Mentors: Stephanie Pitsirilos-Boquín, MPH and Patricia Hametz, MD.
- Education in medical school: Implementation of a nutrition curriculum into Columbia University Medical School by Whitney Fisk; Mentor: David Seres, MD.
- New York State Department of Health Center for Best Practices, Choosing Healthy & Active Lifestyles for Kids (CHALK) community healthy lifestyles education by Andrea Ho; Mentors: Stephanie Pitsirilos-Boquín, MPH and Patricia Hametz, MD.
- New York City’s unique urban homeless populations by Lee Isaacsohn; Mentor: Brenda Merritt, MD.
- Building a systems approach to empower healthful food choices among urban high school students by Alison Maringo; Mentor: Lynn Fredericks.
- Prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV: Translation of HIV and infant feeding guidelines in resource poor settings by Kathryn Mosso; Mentor: Fatima Tsiouris, MS, CNS.
- Curriculum Initiative: Enhancing the first year medical school curriculum through the utilization of the Nutritional Academic Award (NAA) Curriculum Guide for training physicians by Jordan Sill; Mentor: David Seres, PhD.
- Pilot study of a church-based intervention program designed to reduce risk factors of cardiovascular disease by Nigist Tadesse; Mentor: Elsa-Grace Giardina, MD.
- Complementary foods and RUTF-like products for the treatment or prevention of moderate malnutrition by Jan-Willem van Klinken; Mentor: Sally A. Lederman, PhD.
- Bed Stuy’s health: Using maps to address risk factors for poor health by Lam Vo; Mentor: Rosanna Campitiello.
- Breastfeeding background and determinants of infant feeding practices of mothers at the NYPH newborn clinic by Emily Vroegindewey; Mentor: Melissa Glassman, MD.
- Influence of demographic and socio-cultural factors on diet patterns of South Asian families after migration to America by Abanti Zakaria; Mentor: Anne Paxton, PhD.
- Study of the effects on energy expenditure, metabolism, and body weight in humans supplemented with leucine by Brett Barrett; Mentor: Wahida Karmally, Dr. PH, R.D.
- Aldose reductase and vascular inflammation in diabetic mice by Raju Chelluri; Mentor: Ravichandran Ramasamy, Ph.D.
- Parent-reported earache quantity as a possible covariate in the discordance between PTC genotype-PROP phenotype by John Chen; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
- Characterization of transforming growth factor-β type II receptor expression in the neonatal mouse brain by Tyler Green; Mentor: Jim Goldman, M.D., Ph.D.
- Sphingolipids in cystic fibrosis plasma samples by Martin Guerrero; Mentor: Tilla Worgall, M.D.
- Examining differences in PROP mother-child taster pairs with regards to child BMI and caloric intake by Sehera Himami; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
- Turmeric and curcumin enhance an antiproliferative activity of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 human breast cancer cells by Byungchul Jun; Mentor: Linda Einbond, M.D.
- Vitamin A is directly needed in the Wolffian duct to activate Ret expression for proper development of functional ureter-bladder connections by Catherine Kerns; Mentor: Cathy Mendelsohn, Ph.D.
- Overexpression of Notch3 intracellular domain induces SY5Y neuroblastoma proliferation by Sae Kim; Mentor: Darrell Yamashiro, M.D., Ph.D.
- The role of FoxO1 in bone by Ernestine Mitchell; Mentor: Stavroula Kousteni, M.D.
- The role of aldose reductase flux on oxidant stress in diabetic cardiovascular tissue by Mertalaine Mulatre; Mentor: Ravichandran Ramasamy, Ph.D.
- Effect of substituting truvada for combivir vs. continuing combivir on blood lactate levels in HIV+ subjects by Usker Naqvi; Mentor: Ellen Engelson, Ed.D.
- Evaluation of vitamin D storage in adipose tissue by Komal Parikh; Mentors: Emily Stein, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- A potential link between the polyol pathway, the glyoxalase system and apoptosis in diabetic rat hearts by Madhav Vissa; Mentor: Ravichandran Ramasamy, Ph.D.
- Optimal protocol for the differentiation of retinal pigment epithelial cells from mouse embryonic stem cells by Katherine Wert; Mentor: Stephen Tsang, M.D., Ph.D.
- Cellular Retinol Binding Protein (CRBP)-I and –III and their effects on adiposity and metabolism in different mouse models by Nancy Yan; Mentor: Silke Vogel, Ph.D.
- Sleep duration and energy balance by Jennifer Ahn; Mentor: Marie-Pierre St. Onge, Ph.D.
- Characteristics and outcomes of patients who are lost to follow up after bariatric surgery by Raymond Baxter; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Changing the BMI criteria: Outcomes of laparoscopic gastric banding in low BMI patients by Samantha Brodkin; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Effect of a culturally-modified behavioral intervention for people with severe and persistent mental illness in a predominantly Latino community mental health clinic by Simriti Chaudhry; Mentor: Christina Mangurian, M.D.
- The role of body composition in the competitive relationship between bone marrow adipose tissue and bone mineral density in normal and osteoporotic subjects by Lauren Cook; Mentor: Wei Shen, M.D.
- Patient loss to follow-up after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and gastric bypass by Camille Dunkley; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Brain activation in individuals prior to and following bariatric surgery in response to liquid meal and differing appetitive stimuli by Keely Elgethun; Mentor: Christopher N. Ochner, Ph.D.
- Long-term follow-up of obese patients with type II diabetes mellitus undergoing roux-en-Y gastric bypass; the role of weight-loss maintenance after RYGBP in characterizing T2DM reemergence and the implications of RYGBP extension to T2DM therapy for non-obese individuals by McKenzie Fisk; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Carbohydrate malabsorption and accelerated intestinal transit time after gastric bypass surgery by Yaniv Harel; Mentor: Blandine Laferrère, M.D.
- Diet, nutrition and growth parameters among children with SMA Type 1 & 2 by Syed Hasnain; Mentors: Wahida Karmally, Dr. PH, R.D. and Douglas Sproule, M.D.
- Comparison of the effectiveness of the transoral gastroplasty with currently available bariatric procedures by Spoorthi Jinna; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Effect of small bowel resection with and without sleeve gastrectomy on diabetes in the Zucker diabetic fatty rat model by Usa Kopsombut; Mentor: William Inabnet, M.D.
- Improving the predictive value of the EuroSCORE pre-operative risk assessment for cardiac surgery through odds ratio review and the addition of nutritional factors by Nadia Krasner; Mentor: David Seres, M.D.
- Decreased ability to discriminate differences in fat content is associated with greater reported fat preference and intake in African-American adults by Lisa Liang; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
- An Investigation of dietary patterns and body mass index trends in survivors of childhood cancers by Jaclyn Limberakis; Mentor: Elena Ladas, M.S., R.D.
- Investigating changes in blood chemistry and gastrointestinal function following maxillomandibular fixation by Stephanie Liu; Mentor: Sidney Eisig, D.D.S.
- The Diabetes Surgery Study: A multicenter randomized control trial comparing intensive medical management to intensive medical management plus roux-en-Y gastric bypass for the treatment of type 2 diabetes by Ellen McCormick; Mentor: Judith Korner, M.D., Ph.D.
- The creation of a predictive equation to determine which women have an increased risk for developing Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) by Maria Migoya; Mentor: Lauren Golden, M.D.
- The effect of child feeding practices on child weight status according to income group: Do certain CFPs place low income children at an increased risk for obesity? by Phedra Penn; Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
- Revision of failed adjustable gastric banding to gastric bypass by Monica Purohit; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Exploring the role of gastrin in Barrett's Esophagus Neoplasia by Jarrett Schanzer; Mentor: Julian Abrams, M.D.
- Diet during pregnancy varies with women's mental health by Angelie Singh; Mentor: Catherine Monk, Ph.D.
- Outcomes of bariatric surgery in patients age 60 and older by Evangelyn Spencer; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Long term results of the banded versus non-banded gastric bypass randomized trial for the super obese by Philip Taylor; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Telephone-based lifestyle intervention to reduce blood pressure in pre-hypertensive patients: An analysis
on BMI, physical activity, and dietary changes by Benjamin Tran; Mentor: Tanya Spruill, Ph.D.
- Study of free living energy intake and the neuronal activation involved in feeding behavior during regular Sleep versus short sleep by Zalak Trivedi; Mentor: Marie-Pierre St. Onge, Ph.D.
- A review of the efficacy of transoral gastroplasty compared to currently established bariatric surgeries by Whitney Brooke Veith; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- Effect of usual macronutrient intake on resting metabolic activity of healthy, sedentary African-American and Caucasian women by Mu-Hsiang Wang; Mentor: Jeanine Albu, M.D.
- Effect of high-intensity interval training on lipid oxidation in sedentary African-American women: potential advantages of HIIT in combating metabolic inflexibility by Tamara Woleston; Mentor: Jeanine Albu, M.D.
- Patterns of perception and weight-related knowledge and their effects on dietary behaviors by Carolyn Wu; Mentor: Elsa-Grace Giardina, M.D.
- Recurrence of diabetes after gastric bypass in patients with mid- to long-term follow-up by Sara Yuen; Mentors: Marc Bessler, M.D. and Mary DiGiorgi, M.S., M.P.H.
- The U.S. food safety and security system: A collaborative, piecemeal design by Jason Apfel; Mentor: Sally Ann Lederman, Ph.D.
- Nassau County Community Health Assessment 2010-2013 by Nahyeon Baek; Mentor: Tavora Buchman, Ph.D.
- Development and evaluation of a continuing culinary nutrition education curriculum for early elementary school children by Rebecca Chang; Mentor: Pamela Koch, Ed.D.
- Assessment of nutrition interventions on child undernutrition in the Millennium Village of Sauri, Kenya by David Kim; Mentor: Jessica Fanzo, Ph.D.
- Evaluating a multisectorial activity to accelerate progress toward the MDG 1 hunger and undernutrition target; a proposed methodology by Megan LaBoe; Mentor: Ian Darnton-Hill, Ph.D.
- Healthier Hospitals, Healthier Community by Eunice Lee; Mentor: Stephanie Pitsirilos-Boquín, M.P.H.
- From Farm to Table: A pilot test of hands-on nutrition education for early elementary students by Mary Mullaney; Mentor: Pamela Koch, Ed.D.
- Pilot testing of FURRtHER: Families Understanding Risk Reduction through Health Education Research by Ohmar Myint; Mentor: Bernadette Boden-Albala, M.P.H., Dr.P.H.
- A prospective assessment of maternal recall of breastfeeding behaviors by Erin Paxson; Mentors: Sally Ann Lederman, Ph.D. and Julie Herbstman, Ph.D.
- Diabetes focused community health worker interventions in Northern Manhattan and South Bronx: Efforts of the BBKH coalition by Joshua Rae; Mentor: Lina Cherfas
- Strategies to battle childhood obesity: Encouraging healthy food options in New York City public schools through the "Junior/Teen Iron Chef" afterschool program by Natasha Singh; Mentor: Lynn Fredericks
- Characterization of food marketing to children in Manhattan grocery store: A descriptive pilot study by Sonia Singh; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
- The School Wellness Council Project: Providing students with tools for a healthier tomorrow by Victoria Squissato; Mentor: Gabrielle Ettlinger, M.P.A.
A novel protein, GDF-10, and kidney development by Gregory Mak; Mentor: Jon Barasch, M.D., Ph.D.
Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (Ngal)-mediated prevention of apoptosis by Christine Viner; Mentor: Jon Barasch, M.D., Ph.D.
The significance of retinoids in different disease states by Jian Ahang Yang; Mentor: William Blaner, Ph.D.
Growth inhibitory effects of Digitoxin in combination with Pravastatin or Simvastatin on human breast cancer cells by Margaret Ford; Mentor: Linda Einbond, M.D.
Chemopreventive Effects of Actein, Simvastatin, and Pravastatin on Human Breast Carcinoma by Sarah Goldsberry; Mentor: Linda Einbond, M.D.
Genetic variation in human orosensory detection of fat: influence of genetic variation at CD36 locus and sensitivity to 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP) on fat sensitivity in African Americans by Johannah McLean; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
The effect of prenatal antiretroviral therapy on mitochondrial DNA content in HIV uninfected children by Elizabeth Bonagura; Mentor: Philip La Russa, M.D.
Aldose reductase: a key mediator of mitochondrial oxidative stress by Veronica Esmero; Mentor: Ravichandran Ramasamy, Ph.D.
Modulation of cell death by aldose reductase and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) in diabetic hearts by Ahmet Timucin; Mentor: Ravichandran Ramasamy, M.D.
Role of growth inhibitor tuberin in photoreceptor survival in a mouse model of retinitis pigmentosa by Diane Fiander; Mentor: Stephen Tsang, M.D., Ph.D.
The characterization of monoacylglycerol acetyltransferase 3 by Alexander Tran; Mentor: Aaron Turkish. M.D.
Sweet taste preference in dietary obese leptin resistant rats by Maureen Dempsey; Mentor: Joseph Vasselli, Ph.D.
Weight-gain sparing effect on insulin detemir in STZ-induced diabetic rats by Michael Kellemen; Mentor: Joseph Vasselli, Ph.D.
Elucidation of the mechanism by which Hint1 functions as a tumor suppressor gene in human breast cancer cell lines by Tara Berman; Mentor: Bernard Weinstein, M.D.
Investigation of sphingolipid and cholesterol characteristics in CFRBCs by Eronmwon Oronsaye; Mentor: Tilla Worgall, M.D.
Effect of CFTR expression and chloride channel functioning on cell growth: Evaluation of the relationship to sphingolipid content by Suzette Singh; Mentor: Tilla Worgall, M.D.
The effect of cyclooxygenase-2 shRNA knockdown on the SKNEP-1 tumor cell model in vitro by Matthew Brinkman; Mentor: Darrell Yamashiro, M.D., Ph.D.
The role of placental growth factor (PlGF) in a neuroblastoma xenograft model by Jenna Pisani; Mentor: Darrell Yamashiro, M.D., Ph.D.
Substrate balances as predictors of fat oxidation in African American and Caucasian women by Kevin Riutzel; Mentor: Jeanine Albu, M.D.
The effect of pre-operative parameters on surgical outcomes by Vivek Yedavalli; Mentor: Michael Argenziano, M.D.
Baseline depression and quality of life and adherence to scheduled visits on post-surgical weight loss following lap-bound surgery in adolescent patients by Loren Bach; Mentor: Ilene Fennoy, M.D., MPH
The effects of dietary composition on cardiovascular comorbidities in adolescent bariatric surgery patients by Eric Fok; Mentor: Ilene Fennoy, M.D., MPH
Psychological and eating behaviors following roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery by Meghan Crawley; Mentor: Allan Geliebter, Ph.D.
Periodontal disease and peripheral arterial disease: Is there a link? by Afshin Zartoshi; Mentor: Jeanine Giacovelli, M.D.
The Relationship between Maternal Pregravid BMI and Offspring Body Composition; Impact of Race by Marian Pak; Mentor: Holly Hull, Ph.D.
Does race affect the relationship between birth weight categories and body composition? by Sharalyn Steenson; Mentor: Holly Hull, Ph.D.
Can education level, possession of health insurance, and frequency of doctor’s visits predict cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors in a CVD screening project at Columbia University Medical Center by Tabia Collins- Mitchell; Mentor: Wahida Karmally, DrPH, RD
Lifestyle predictors of hypertension in older women from CUMC employees and the Washington Heights Community by Hwa-te Tsai; Mentor: Wahida Karmally, DrPH, RD
Diabetic neuropathy and hyperglycemia induced complications by Stephanie Zimmeck; Mentor: Wahida Karmally, DrPH, RD
Use of food packaging and promotion to increase intake of fruits and vegetables in children at risk for overweight by Cassandra Johnson; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
The effects of fat taste discriminability on BMI and food preference by Daniel May; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
Parental feeding practices may be more important in determining BMI z-score, average energy intake and energy density than sensitivity to 6-n-propylthiouracil in children aged 4-6 years by Shama Sud; Mentor: Kathleen Keller, Ph.D.
The effects of leptin administration on body weight and neuroendocrine function in weight-reduced individuals after gastric bypass surgery by Nailah Adams; Mentor: Judith Korner, M.D., Ph.D.
A literature review of Pediatric Dietary Assessments by Amy Roberts; Mentor: Sally Ann Lederman, Ph.D.
Relative hypertrophy of the teres minor muscle in patients with massive rotator cuff tears correlates with maintained forward elevation and better subjective assessment of function by Anuli Mkparu; Mentor: William Levine, M.D.
Reducing folate deficiency in women with epilepsy taking anti-epileptic drugs by Richa Garg; Mentor: Karen McKearney, M.S., CPNP-PC
An investigation of dietary patterns for children undergoing treatment for brain tumors and into survivorship by Monica Sotolongo; Mentor: Manuela Orjuela, M.D.
Cortical Responses to visual and tactile presentations of food items in lean women: An fMRI study by David Fischel; Mentor: Marie Pierre St.Onge, Ph.D.
Gender differences in the effect of coffee mannooligosaccharides on body composition in overweight humans by Taylor Salindari; Mentor: Marie Pierre St.Onge, Ph.D.
An analysis of the behavioral factors associated with childhood obesity in young children by Ami Vikani; Mentor: Marie Pierre St.Onge, Ph.D.
Process evaluation of developing an interactive web-based dietary food log through community based participatory research by Kevin Chung; Mentor: Sharon Akabas, Ph.D.
Assessing international pandemic preparedness: A study of avian influenza by Lauren Trakimas; Mentor: Michelle Barrett, M.D.
Take Care of that Body: An after school health and nutrition curriculum for adolescents and teens by Andrew Boulos; Mentor: Alwyn Cohall, M.D.
A qualitative perspective on developing a nutrition workshop for teens: what role does personal counseling play? by John Buza; Mentor: Alwyn Cohall, M.D.
Take care of that body: pilot project 8 and 4 week trials by Kyle Johnson; Mentor: Alwyn Cohall, M.D.
“Take Care of That Body” prevention and treatment of pediatric obesity program: Increasing physical activity-functional exercise triad by Joseph Seldin; Mentor: Alwyn Cohall, M.D.
International trends and prospects towards the millennium development goals on aspects of food and nutrition: role of public/private partnerships by Tim Hsia; Mentor: Ian Darton-Hill, Ph.D.
Preventing Malnutrition: A systematic review assessing the impact of agrodiversity interventions on nutritional status in lower income countries by Bram Wispelwey; Mentor: Richard Deckelbaum, M.D.
Science of Health: A food-based approach to secondary science and health education by Stacy Jankaukas; Mentor: Jay Dubner
Assessment of Ghana Millennium Village School meal program as an effective nutritional intervention by Olivia Reid Linthavong; Mentor: Jessica Fanzo, Ph.D.
Garden-to-table food education strategies to induce healthy food choices & reduce risk of obesity in NYC high school students by Ali Bukhari; Mentor: Lynn Fredericks
Patterns of body size perceptions and heart disease knowledge among female Hispanics in Northern Manhattan by Lorraine Mull; Mentor: Elsa-Grace Giardina, M.D.
Understanding adolescent food choices through personal stories by Sarah Edquist; Mentor: Pam Koch, EdD,RD
Proposing a youth-oriented osteoporosis prevention program by Timothy Murphy; Mentor: Jeri Nieves, Ph.D.