Edward P. Gelmann, M.D.
New Patient Email - Hemoncnewpatients@columbia.edu
Administrative Office Tel - 212 305-8602
Fax - 212 305-3035
Outpatient Services Location
Herbert Irving Pavilion 9
161 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY
Edward P. Gelmann, M.D. is the Chief of the Division of Hematology/Oncology and Deputy Director for Clinical Research in the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center and at Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Gelmann primarily cares for patients with genitourinary malignancies including prostate, testicular, bladder, and renal cell cancers.
Dr. Gelmann received his undergraduate degree from Yale College, B.S. magna cum laude, and later matriculated at Stanford University School of Medicine. Dr. Gelmann received his Internal Medicine training at the University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics. He then joined the US Public Health Service to train as a fellow in Medical Oncology at the National Cancer Institute. After becoming an established researcher at the NCI by his work in the molecular biology of solid tumors, Dr. Gelmann moved to Georgetown University where he assumed the role of Chief of the Division of Hematology/Oncology. Dr. Gelmann has done clinical, early detection, and basic science research primarily in prostate cancer. His laboratory has made major contributions to our understanding of the genetic steps that transform a normal prostate cell to a cancer cell. Dr. Gelmann remains actively involved in pre- and postdoctoral education, teaching graduate students, house staff, and fellows.
- Genitourinary Cancers
- Internal Medicine
- Clyde Wu Professor of Oncology
- Chief, Division of Hematology/Oncology
- Deputy Director, HICCC Columbia University Medical Center
- Attending Physician, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- B.S., 1972, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- M.D., 1976, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Internship and Residency
- Internal Medicine, 1978, University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, Chicago, IL
- Medical Oncology, 1983, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD