Information on MGEB Summer Service Disruptions
Friday, June 20, 2014
Please be advised that, due to ongoing construction at the Medical and Graduate Education Building, there will be a series of temporary service disruptions scheduled this summer that will impact residents and offices in Bard Hall, Tower 1, Tower 2, and Tower 3.
Learn about the dates of the upcoming service disruptions as well as important information on what to expect before, during, and after the electrical and hot water service disruptions on Wednesday, July 16, 2014.
Representatives from the MGEB Project Team are available to assist any office occupants with questions or concerns they may have regarding the upcoming shutdowns. For questions or concerns on how office spaces will be impacted by the upcoming service disruptions, contact the MGEB Project Team at CUMCeducationbldg@columbia.edu.
Signage will be posted throughout the buildings leading up to the service disruptions; residents and building occupants should continue to check the CUMC Facilities Management and Campus Services webpage for continuous updates.
- Hallway Lights Disruption, July 8, 10 a.m.-noon (Towers 2 & 3): Temporary lights will be installed in the hallways on each floor. Stairwell lighting, however, will not be affected.
- Elevator Service Disruption, July 10, 1-5 a.m. (Towers 2 & 3): Elevator service will be unavailable in both towers during the 4-hour period.
- Electrical Service Disruption, July 16, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., pending final confirmation from Con Edison (Towers 2 & 3): All apartments and offices in both towers will be affected; hallway lighting, stairwell lighting, and elevator service, however, will not be affected.
- Water Service Disruption, July 16, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (Towers 1, 2, 3, and Bard Hall): All water in all apartments and offices located in Towers 1, 2, 3, and Bard Hall will be affected.
If your apartment or office is located in Towers 2 or 3, please take a few moments to complete the following steps prior to 10 a.m. on Wednesday, July 16:
- Save all files and important documents.
- Completely turn off your computers and laptops.
- Turn off all electronic devices.
- All apartments and offices in Towers 2 and 3 will be affected by the temporary electrical service disruption; hallway lighting, stairwell lighting, and elevator service, however, will not be affected. All water in all apartments and offices located in Towers 1, 2, 3, and Bard Hall will also be affected.
- During this time, the manual fire alarms located in the hallways of Towers 2 and 3 will be out of service. The on-campus fire marshal will be leading patrols in Towers 2 and 3 throughout the duration of the temporary electrical service disruption. In case of a fire emergency, call Public Safety, 305-7979, or 911.
Representatives from the Office of Housing Services are working diligently with the MGEB Project Team to minimize disruptions to building occupants, and are providing the following options during the July 16 temporary electrical disruption:
- Information stations will be available from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. in the Office of Housing Services, Tower 2 breezeway and the Tower 3 lobby.
- Charging stations will be available in the Tower 3 lobby as well as in the Bard Hall lobby.
- Movie screenings, refreshments, and a cooling station will be available throughout the day in the Bard Athletic Center.
- Once power is restored, please use caution when turning on any electronic devices.
- Once hot water service is restored, please allow your faucets to run for 3-4 minutes to ensure constant flow and pressure. Water may appear brown at first, but will turn clear as it continues to run.
- Following the temporary electrical service disruption, occupants of Towers 2 and 3 may notice intermittent fire alarm testing.
If you continue to experience any issues with electricity or hot water following the service disruptions, please contact the Office of Housing Services at 305-HELP (4357), option 2 or email@example.com.
< back to news