Furniture Moving and Removal
CUMC Facilities provides furniture moving services on a chargeable basis. We do not, however, handle the moving of sensitive equipment such as research equipment and computers, or any large, heavy equipment between buildings. Departments should make other arrangements for moving this type of equipment.
We do not unplug any computers from wall outlets, but we do move computer equipment if it is properly unplugged and packed.
If a department chooses to arrange for a commercial moving service, we must be informed in order to arrange for exclusive elevator service. A certificate of insurance is required if an outside vendor is called to provide services.
Please submit a service request and separately email insurance documentation to email@example.com at least two weeks before the scheduled move, so we can help make the appropriate arrangements. You will need to provide CUMC Facilities with the following:
- Copy of a certificate of insurance from an admitted insurance company (admitted means filed with and subject to the laws and regulation of the state they are admitted in)
- Confirmation of auto and general liability coverage with minimum liability limits of $2 million
- Confirmation of worker’s compensation coverage
- The certificate of insurance should also name The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York as an additional insured.
The fee for moving furniture is based on an hourly rate, and if you have contracted with a commercial moving service, there is a fee for exclusive elevator service.
Facilities will remove office furniture upon request, including the following:
- Disassembled cubicles, workstations, modular furniture
- Disassembled shelving
- Stands & racks for office equipment
A fee for disassembling and/or moving furniture will be charged based on an hourly rate.
CUMC Facilities does not repair furniture.