Moving In

We're excited to have you join our housing community, and want to ensure your move-in goes as smoothly as possible. Take a few moments to review the helpful topics below before moving into your new room. Questions about the move-in process? Contact us at or 212-305-4357, option 2.


Receiving Keys

You will only receive your key(s) once you have signed a lease or Student Housing Contract. Only the person whose name is on the lease/contract may pick up the keys, and an acceptable form of identification, preferably a photo ID, must be presented.


Mail and Packages

We may not accept any packages on your behalf before your official move-in date. Please keep this in mind when sending packages to your new residence.


Your mailing address is as follows:
Your Name
Building Street Address
Unit #
New York, NY 10032


Condition of Your Room/Apartment

Your CUMC unit should be clean and in good condition upon move-in. All fixtures and appliances should be in working order. Maintenance requests can be placed online or in-person at the Office of Housing Services, located on the lobby level of Bard Hall. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact us at or 212-305-4357, option 2.


Gas and Electric

If you live in Towers I, II, and III, or 154 Haven Ave., charges for gas and electric are not included in your rent. You are responsible for making arrangements with ConEdison for service and payments. It generally takes a few days to have service turned on. However, you do not need to set up service if you are moving into an apartment where other students are already living.


ConEdison can accept applications for most tenants at 1-800-752-6633 or online at Any questions concerning your gas and electric bill should be directed to ConEdison. If you experience problems or delays in getting your gas and electric service turned on, please call ConEdison directly.


If you have any other concerns about utilities, please contact us at or 212-305-4357, option 2.


Cable TV and Internet

Tenants who wish to have cable TV service should contact Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) at 212-358-0900 or The majority of CUMC buildings have wireless internet service, provided with no additional charge by CUMC IT. Please note that 154 Haven Ave has ethernet/wired connection only. For information regarding computers, email, and ethernet installation, please visit CUMC IT at or call 212-305-4357, option 5.


Air Conditioner Installation

Air conditioners are permitted in student dorm rooms (Bard Hall and Georgian Residence) only when they are installed by the Office of Housing Services. We do not rent or provide air conditioners; students may bring their own. Air conditioners should not exceed 5,000 BTUs and cannot be more than 15" high or 27" wide. Window frames will not be cut to accommodate oversize units.


There is a $25 installation charge and $20 removal charge. Air conditioner installation and/or removal forms are available at the Office of Housing Services, located on the lobby level of Bard Hard.


Towers I, II, and III, and 154 Haven Ave. have central air conditioning.


Parking on Move-In Day

Limited street parking is available. Double parking is permitted on scheduled move-in days while you are unloading your belongings. The vehicle must not be left unattended.


When moving in, you may see the door attendants in Towers I, II, and III to borrow a hand-truck or dolly. You must provide a CUMC ID. While door attendants in other buildings cannot offer this resource, residents of other buildings are welcome to request a hand-truck or dolly at Towers I, II, and III.


Seeking long-term parking? Due to limited availability, parking in medical center facilities is not available to CUMC students. Students who are commuting and are enrolled in Saturday classes, however, may park from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays on class days only. A current class schedule must be provided. Read more about parking.


Using a Moving Company

When using a moving company to move in or out of CUMC housing, you must provide the following to the Office of Housing Services:

  1. Copy of a certificate of insurance from an admitted insurance company (admitted means filed with and subject to the laws and regulation of the state they are admitted in). View example.
  2. Confirmation of auto and general liability coverage with minimum liability limits of $2 million.
  3. Confirmation of worker’s compensation coverage.
  4. The certificate of insurance should also name The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York as an additional insured.

Please forward a copy of the certificate of insurance to the Office of Housing Services at least two business days before your move-in or move-out date.


The moving company and the tenant will be responsible for leaving the building and its premises in broom-clean condition and for removing boxes and other trash generated in the move. If you have any questions regarding the requirements for the policy, please contact us at or at 212-304-4357, option 2.


Renter's Insurance

While you live on-campus, it is important that you protect yourself financially against personal property losses by acquiring renter’s insurance. Renter’s insurance can provide you with coverage for damaged, lost, or stolen personal items as well as personal liability in the event that someone is injured in your apartment or you damage property that belongs to others. Renter’s insurance can also provide you with the financial means for acquiring temporary living facilities in the event that your residence becomes uninhabitable due to severe weather damage or some other disaster.


Although CUMC does not offer renter’s insurance, you can learn more about how to determine your coverage, survey your items, and find a provider by visiting the Insurance Information Institute.

Need Help? Contact the Office of Housing Services

212-305-Help (4357), select 'Option 2'
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For all after hours emergency issues:
Georgian: 212-305-6868 | 154 Haven: 212-304-7144 | 390 Ft. Washington: 212-927-3539 | Bard/Tower 1 304-7002 | Tower 2: 304-7262 | Tower 3: 305-1300

  • Student/Tenant Guide
  • Moving
  • Disability Services

Facilities Operations

650 West 168th Street
Black Building, Room B-02
New York, NY 10032
Tel: 212-305-4357 (Option 3)
Fax: (212) 305-1026

Parking Office

650 West 168th Street
Black Building
New York, NY 10032
Tel: 212-305-4357 (Option 7)
Fax: 212-305-1026

Columbia University
School of Nursing

Housing Services

50 Haven Avenue
Bard Hall, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10032
Tel: 212-304-7000
or 212-305-4357 (Option 2)


Vagelos Education Center

Service excellence through innovation, value, communication and quality.