CUMC Policies & Procedures
CUMC Office of Housing Services Policy and Procedures
- Health & Safety: OHS wants to ensure the health and safety of all student/tenants If in case of an emergency please call 911 in addition to public safety immediately. If someone feels that a fellow student or tenant has a health and/or safety issue and feels it’s not necessary to call 911, please call the OHS and speak with an office during business hours (8:00am-5:00pm). If after hours please call public safety at 212-305-3400 so a record is kept of the issue.
- Unsanitary dorm/room/apartment conditions: OHS has the right to inspect all dorms, rooms and apartments to insure cleanliness. A notice will be sent to the tenant of record indicating the day and time of inspection. If on that day and time noted and the tenant of record is not available to give access, OHS will enter the premise.
- Insect infestation: If there is an alleged rodent, insect infestation in your living area; please contact the OHS immediately upon suspected infestation. . The OHS has the right to enter the living area to verify the situation with or without an outside professional. Failure to comply with all rules, regulations given to you by the outside professional and OHS can result in future infestations. Students/Tenants must comply with all required procedures to insure immediate remediation. NOTE: Evidence of an infestation must be found or no treatment will be performed.
- Vacancy: 30 to 45 days before vacating your housing assignment, an OHS Officer will inspect your living area. If your living area exceeds the normal wear and tear, OHS will inspect the damages and the student will be charged.
- Storage: Office of Housing Services does not provide storage space on campus.
- No Smoking: In order to minimize health risks, improve the quality of air, and enhance the environment in all facilities, CUMC Housing has adopted a smokefree policy. Smoking is prohibited in any building owned and occupied, or leased and occupied. It is now against the law to smoke in any New York State Public or Private university or college dormitory. If you, the tenant, or anyone in your apartment is found to be smoking, a $250 fine will be imposed on all who reside within your apartment for each occurrence. In congruence with the CUMC Smoke- Free Policy, all university-owned residential buildings are smoke-free. Smoking is prohibited inside individual apartments, bedrooms single-family homes or apartments, group houses, restrooms, community rooms, lounges, common areas, balconies, porches, external stairways and indoor/outdoor cafés. Smoking outside is permitted only in designated areas. Smoking is prohibited in the courtyard and between residential buildings at CUMC.