Campus accommodations for students include a wide range of offerings from single dormitory rooms, to 2, 3, and 4 person suites, to one bedroom apartments. The 390 Ft. Washington Residence houses Postdoctoral Fellows in studio and 1-bedroom apartments, while faculty are offered accommodations at the Morningside Campus.
Notice: In June 2017, Columbia University Medical Center will begin the Towers Modernization Project, a multi-year residential improvement project designed to enhance spaces throughout Towers 1, 2, and 3. Learn more about the Towers Modernization Project.
2017 Application Dates
Below are important CUMC Housing application dates for current and newly admitted students. Click here to check your housing eligibility.
- February 1-March 31, 2017: Newly admitted students who require either single or couples housing and will be enrolled in either the Dental Grad Programs (Endo, Ortho, Perio, Prostho and AEGD) or MDE (Nursing) may apply for CUMC on-campus housing online. All housing notifications will occur March 31-April 7, 2017.
- February 1-March 31, 2017: Current students who require couples housing and are currently enrolled in either College of Physicians and Surgeons, Mailman School of Public Health, or Graduate School of Basic Sciences may apply for CUMC on-campus housing online. Housing packets for current students interested in couples housing are also available in the Office of Housing Services. Housing notifications for couples housing will occur in early April.
- April 15-June 1, 2017: All newly admitted students who require single housing and will be attending and/or enrolled in the 2017-2018 academic year to the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Mailman School of Public Health, School of Nursing, Human Nutrition program, School of Dental Medicine, Occupational program, Physical Therapy program, or Graduate School of Arts and Sciences may apply for CUMC on-campus housing online. Housing notifications will occur in April 25-June 15, 2017.
- April 15-June 1, 2017: Newly admitted students who require couples housing and will begin in fall 2017 at any of the schools or programs listed above may apply for CUMC housing online. Housing notifications for newly admitted students will occur April 25-June 15, 2017.
- September 1-30, 2017: Reapplication Process
Students who were not assigned on-campus housing during the initial assignment process but are still interested in living on-campus can apply again. Submit no later than September 30. If an accommodation is available, a Housing Offer will be sent to the email address you provided on your housing application. It is preferred that you use a CUMC email address.
- October 2, 2017-January 15, 2018: Transfer Application Process
Eligibility: The Transfer Process is for any student who has lived on campus at least a year or more, is not in arrears (owing rent), and has full-time student status. However, there is an exception for students who live in Bard and Georgian residences, who can transfer before they complete a year of living on-campus.
- Students can transfer only to furnished accommodations in the Towers or 154 Haven, with the exception of Tower 3 studios which are unfurnished. Furthermore, the Transfer Process is for both singles and couples housing. Students seeking couples housing can apply to transfer to a Junior 1-bedroom, the 1-bedrooms throughout the three towers, or the furnished 1-bedrooms at 154 Haven Ave.
- Transfer Application Process: Students must come in person to the Housing Office, which is open weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The applications are numbered and are handed out to students in the order they arrive. If an accommodation that you selected on the Transfer Application is available, we will email you to schedule a time to view the room/apartment. If you accept, we’ll proceed with next steps, such as canceling your contract (if applicable) and/or scheduling a lease-signing appointment. Note: Students who have lived in the towers or 154 Haven Ave. and are transferring within those locations will also be asked to sign a new lease. All new leases for the towers and 154 Haven Ave. require two checks at lease-signing to cover first month’s rent and the security deposit. Any previous security deposit cannot be rolled over to the new accommodation.
- Nov. 1-30, 2017: Spring 2017 Applicants
Spring 2017 applicants may submit applications starting Nov. 1. Housing notifications will occur on or before Nov. 30.
To ensure fair housing for as many CUMC students as possible, the Office of Housing Services uses the following priority structure for housing assignments:
- Priority 1: International applicants
- Priority 2: Applicants within the United States coming from farthest away then moving eastward
- Priority 3: Applicants from the Tristate area (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut)
Please note the number and type of student housing units available for rent at any given time varies throughout the year. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that you will be housed in accommodations that satisfy your first preference in terms of type, location, and price range.
All P&S and GSAS applicants are guaranteed dormitory-style accommodations in Bard Hall. You may, however, apply for housing in other residential buildings (Georgian Residence; Towers I, II, and III; 154 Haven Ave.); accommodations in other buildings are assigned based on availability.
Important 2017 Move-Out Information
The Office of Housing Services is working diligently on the move-out process for Move-Out Weekend 2017, Saturday, May 27, through Wednesday, May 31. As you prepare to depart CUMC, please note the following updates:
- Public Safety will provide additional foot patrols for any assistance that may be needed during the weekend
- "No Parking" signs will be posted along Haven Avenue (between 50 and 100 Haven Avenue) to allow for trucks/moving vans to load as students are vacating
- Minimized construction work will take place at the Vagelos Education Center site during the weekend
During Move-Out Weekend, staff members from the Office of Housing Services will be available to assist with the move-out process. There will also be staging areas located in the lobbies of Towers 2 and 3 that will provide large boxes and dollies. If you are using moving trucks, they will be allowed to park along Haven Avenue. If you have any questions during your move-out, please call 212-305-4357 and select option #2.