For even more information than what is listed below, check out Columbia University’s Environmental Stewardship website at http://www.environment.columbia.edu/
- What's an ecological footprint?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_footprint
- Calculate your own footprint: www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp
In Your Residence Hall Room
- Compact Flourescent Bulbs (CFL) www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0703-05.htm
- Energy Star Appliances: www.energystar.gov/
- Energy consumption for plug-in appliances: http://standby.lbl.gov/index.html
- Laptops vs. desktops energy use: www.eu-energystar.org
- Setting computers to sleep mode: www.energy-solution.com/off-equip/configuring-monitors.html
- Benefits of computer shut-down: www.greencampus.harvard.edu/cerp/documents/brochure_small.pdf
- New York City recycling: www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/
- Report on benefits of recycling: www.nrdc.org/cities/recycling/recyc/recyinx.asp
- More kitchen and home conservation tips with stats: www.unison.co.nz/?t=85
- EPA info on plastic bag waste: www.epa.gov
In the Bathroom
- EPA info on New York City's water supply: www.epa.gov/nerlesd1/land-sci/ny.htm
- New York City waste water
- Eco-friendly toiletry options: Green Choices
- Hair dryer and other appliance energy use calculator: www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/appliances/index.cfm/mytopic=10040
- Greenhouse gas emission calculator
- Benefits of front-load washers: www.eartheasy.com/live_frontloadwash.htm
- Cold-water wash energy conservation: www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/ph/phecc/strat_W4.cfm
- Eco-friendly laundry detergents: froogle.google.com, search for biodegradable laundry detergent. JJ’s Place will be selling the complete line of Ecover products (www.ecover.com).
- Fair Trade information: www.transfairusa.org
- Rainforest Alliance Certification for coffee: www.rainforest-alliance.org/certification
- More info on biodegradable containers: www.wbcsd.org/web/publications/case/natureworks_full_case_web.pdf
- Columbia Security offers subsidized bike locks: publicsafety.columbia.edu/content/theft-prevention-programs
- Keep up-to-date on Columbia's latest efforts in environmental stewardship: www.columbia.edu/cu/environment
- For more NYC green action, check out Eco-logic: a group started by Columbia/Barnard graduates to connect people to eco-friendly services, products, and events in New York City.
- Some recommended reading: The Big Green Apple: Your Guide to Eco-Friendly Living in New York City by Benjamin Jersey.
Whether you do all of your studying and socializing in your res hall room, or you spend most of your time in the city and only go to your room to sleep, these tips apply to every Columbia student.