Elan D. Louis M.D, M.S.
Elan D. Louis M.D, M.Sc. (Epidemiology) is a tenured Professor of Neurology and Epidemiology (in the Sergeivsky Center) at the College of Physicians and Surgeons and Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.
|Elan D. Louis M.D, M.S.
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons
630 West 168th Street
New York, New York 10032
Dr. Louis received his training from the University of Pennsylvania (B.A. 1984), Yale Medical School (M.D. 1989), Columbia University School of Public Health (M.S. in Epidemiology 1995), the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics Section 1984-85), and the New York Neurological Institute at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center (Neurology Residency 1990-93, Movement Disorder Fellowship 1993-95, and Neuroepidemiology Fellowship, 1993-95). He became an Assistant Professor in 1995 and tenured Associate Professor in 2003. Dr. Louis has served on the editorial board of Movement Disorders and the Journal of the History of the Neurosciences. He serves on the scientific advisory board for the International Essential Tremor Foundation. He is the author of approximately two hundred peer-reviewed publications and has been invited to write editorials and reviews for Annals of Neurology, Movement Disorders, Archives of Neurology, Lancet Neurology, Lancet, Nature Clinical Practice Neurology, and New England Journal of Medicine. From 1995 to the present, he has received continuous funding from the National Institutes of Health for his research on neurological diseases and is a past recipient of a Paul Beeson Scholar Award in Aging Research and a Dana Clinical Hypotheses in Neuroscience Research Program Award (Charles A. Dana Foundation).
Dr. Louis cares for patients with a variety of involuntary movements, including essential tremor, Parkinson's disease, dystonia, tics, and Huntington's disease. Dr. Louis's principal academic interest is in degenerative diseases of the central nervous system (especially disorders of involuntary movement) including their epidemiology, distribution within populations, genetic basis, etiology, and pathogenesis. He has a particular interest in essential tremor (ET), where his research has included studies of its epidemiology, familial aggregation, environmental epidemiology, brain metabolism, and neuropathology. He has also established a DNA and brain bank for ET.
*Peer-Reviewed Publications (2004 - 2006)*
1.* Louis ED.* Clinical Practice: Essential tremor. /N Engl J Med/ 2001;345:887-891.**
2. *Louis ED*, Murray M, Miller MA, Pullman SL, Vonsattel JPG. Late-life action tremor in a southern sea otter (/Enhydris lutris nereis/). /Mov Disord/ 2004;19:222-226.
3. Benito-Leon J, Bermejo-Pareja F, Morales-Gonzalez J-M, Porta-Estessam J, Trincado R, Vega S, *Louis ED*. Incidence of Parkinson's disease and other types of parkinsonism in three elderly populations in central Spain. /Neurology /2004;62:734-741.
4. Dogu O, Sevim S, *Louis ED*, Kaleagasi H, Aral M. Reduced body mass index in essential tremor: A population-based study in Mersin Province, Turkey. /Arch Neurol /2004;61:386-389.
5. *Louis ED*, Tang M, Mayeux R. Factor structure of Parkinsonian signs in the community-dwelling elderly. /Mov Disord /2004;19:268-272.
6.* Louis ED*, Jurewicz EC, Applegate L, Luchsinger JA, Factor-Litvak P, Parides M. Semiquantitative study of current coffee, caffeine and ethanol intake in essential tremor cases and controls. /Mov Disord/ 2004;19:499-504.
7.* Louis ED*, Shungu D, Mao X, Chan S, Jurewicz EC. Cerebellar metabolic symmetry in essential tremor studied with ^1 H magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging: Implications for disease pathophysiology. /Mov Disord /2004;19:672-677.
8. Hardesty DE, Maraganore DM, Matsumoto JY, *Louis ED*. Increased risk of head tremor in women with essential tremor: Longitudinal data from the Rochester Epidemiology Project. /Mov Disord/ 2004;19:529-533.
9. Clark LN, Afridi S, Mejia-Santana H, Harris J, *Louis ED*, Cote LJ, Andrews H, Singleton A, Wavrant De-Vrieze F, Hardy J, Mayeux R, Fahn S, Waters C, Ford B, Frucht S, Ottman R, Marder K. Analysis of a early-onset Parkinson's disease cohort for DJ-1 mutations. /Mov Disord/ 2004;19:296 - 800.
10. Chatterjee A, Jurewicz EC, Applegate LM, *Louis ED*. Personality in essential tremor. /J Neurology Neurosurg Psychiatry /2004;75:958-961.
11. Levy G, *Louis ED*, Mejia-Santana H, Cote, L, Andrews H, Harris J, Waters C, Frucht S, Fahn S, Ottman R, Marder K. Lack of familial aggregation of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease. /Arch Neurol/ 2004;61:1033- 1039.
12. Piboolnurak P, Pullman SL, *Louis ED*. Unusual forehead tremor in a patient with essential tremor. /Mov Disord /2004;19:842-844.
13. Benito-Leon J, Alvarez-Linera J, *Louis ED*. Neurosyphilis masquerading as corticobasal degeneration. /Mov Disord/ 2004;19:1367-1370.
14. Zesiewicz T, *Louis ED*, Sullivan KL, Menkin M, Hauser RA. Substantial improvement in a Meige's syndrome patient with levetiracetam treatment. /Mov Disord/ 2004;19:1518-1521.
15. Garcia Arocena D, *Louis ED*, Tassone F, Gilliam TC, Ottman R, Jacquemont S, Hagerman PJ. Screen for expanded FMR1 alleles in patients with essential tremor. /Mov Disord/ 2004;19:930-933.* *
16.* Louis ED*, Tang M-X, Mayeux R. Parkinsonian signs in older people in a community-based study: Risk of incident dementia. /Arch Neurol / 2004;61:1273-1276.
17.* Louis ED*, Applegate LM, Factor-Litvak P, Parides MK, Andrews L. Essential tremor: Occupational exposures to manganese and organic solvents. /Neurology/ 2004;63:2162-2164.
18. Clark LN, Nicolai A, Afridi S, Harris J, Mejia-Santana H, Strug L, Cote LJ, *Louis ED*, Andrews H, Waters C, Ford B, Frucht S, Fahn S, Mayeux R, Ottman R, Marder K. Pilot association study of the É¿-glucocerebrosidase N370S allele and Parkinson's disease in subjects of Jewish ethnicity./ Mov Disord/ 2005;20:100-103.
19.* Louis ED*, Tang MX, Schupf N, Mayeux R. Functional correlates and prevalence of mild parkinsonian signs in a community population of older people. /Arch Neurol/ 2005;62:297-302.* *
20.* Louis ED*. Behavioral symptoms associated with essential tremor./ Adv Neurol/ 2005 96:284-290.
21. Levy G, *Louis ED*, Cote L, Perez M, Mejia-Santana H, Andrews H, Harris J, Waters C, Ford B, Frucht S, Fahn S, Marder K. Contribution of aging to the severity of different motor signs in Parkinson's disease. /Arch Neuro/l 2005;62:467-472.
22.* Louis ED*, Jurewicz EC, Parides M. Case-control study of nutritional antioxidant intake in essential tremor. Neuroepidemiology 2005;24:203-208.
23. Hogarth P, Kayson E, Kieburtz K, Marder K, Oakes D, Rosas D, Shoulson I, Wexler N, Young AB, Zhao H and the Huntington Study Group. Interrater agreement in the assessment of motor manifestations of Huntington's disease. Mov Disord 2005;20:293-297.
24. *Louis ED*, Applegate LM, Borden S, Moskowitz C, Jin Z. Feasibility and validity of a modified finger-nose-finger test. /Mov Disord /2005;20:636-639.* *
25. Benito-Leon J, Bermejo-Pareja F, *Louis ED*. Incidence of essential tremor in three elderly populations of central Spain. /Neurology/ 2005;64:1721-1725.* *
26.* Louis ED*, Schupf N, Manly J, Marder K, Tang M-X, Mayeux R. MPS Association between mild parkinsonian signs and mild cognitive impairment in a community. /Neurology/ 2005;64:1157-1161.
27.* Louis ED*, Honig LS, Vonsattel JPG, Maraganore DM, Borden S, Moskowitz CB. Essential tremor associated with focal non-nigral Lewy bodies: A clinical-pathological study. /Arch Neurol /2005;62:1004-1007.
28. *Louis ED*, Applegate L, Factor-Litvak P, Parides MK. Factor structure of motor signs in essential tremor. /Neuroepidemiology/ 2005;25:42-47.* *
29. Dogu O, *Louis ED*, Sevim S, Kaleagasi , Aral M. Clinical characteristics of essential tremor in Mersin, Turkey: A population-based door-to-door study. /J Neurol/ 2005;252:570-574.
30. Zesiewcz TA, Elble R, *Louis ED*, Hauser RA, Sullivan KL, Dewey RB, Ondo WG, Gronseth GS, Weiner WJ. Practice parameter: Therapies for essential tremor. Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. /Neurology/ 2005;64:2008-2020.**
31.* Louis ED*, Fernandez-Alvarez E, Dure LS, Frucht S, Ford B. Association between male gender and pediatric essential tremor. /Mov Disord /2005;20:904-906.
32.* Louis ED*, Zheng W, Applegate L, Shi L, Factor-Litvak P. Blood harmane concentrations and dietary protein consumption in essential tremor. /Neurology/ 2005;65:391-396.
33. Hafeman DM, Ahsan H, *Louis ED*, Siddique AB, Slavkovich V, Cheng Z, van Geen A, Graziano JH. Association between arsenic exposure and a measure of subclinical sensory neuropathy in Bangladesh. /J Occup Environ Med /2005;47:778-784.
34. *Louis ED*, Borden S, Moskowitz CB. Essential Tremor Centralized Brain Repository: Diagnostic validity and clinical characteristics of a highly selected group of essential tremor cases. /Mov Disord /2005;20:1361-1365.
35. Applegate LM, *Louis ED*. Essential tremor: Mild olfactory dysfunction in a cerebellar disorder. /Parkinsonism Related Disord /2005;11:399-402.
36. Tan EK, Fook-Chong S, Lum S-Y, Gabriel C, Koh KK, Prakash KM, *Louis ED*. Non-motor manifestations in essential tremor: Use of a validated instrument to evaluate a wide spectrum of symptoms. /Parkinsonism Related Disord /2005;11:375-380.
37. *Louis ED*, Applegate L, Graziano J, Parides M, Slavkovich V, Bhat H. Interaction between blood lead concentration and delta-amino-levulinic acid dehydratase gene polymorphisms increases the odds of essential tremor. /Mov Disord/ 2005;20:1170-1177.* *
38. Sarangmath N, Rattihalli R, Rogothaman M, Gopalkrishna G, Doddaballapur S, *Louis ED*, Muthane UB. Validity of a modified Parkinson's disease screening questionnaire in India: Effects of literacy of participants and medical training of screeners and implications for screening efforts in developing countries. /Mov Disord/ 2005;20:1550-1556.
39. *Louis ED*. Essential tremor. /The Lancet Neurology/ 2005;4:100-110.
40. *Louis ED*, Kavanagh P. John Adams' essential tremor. /Mov Disord/ 2005;20:1537-1542.
41. Frucht SJ, Houghton WC, Bordelon Y, Greene PE, *Louis ED*. A single-blind, open-label trial of sodium oxybate for myoclonus and essential tremor./ Neurology /2005;65:1967-1969.
42. Recio MV, Hauser RA, *Louis ED*, Radhashakar H, Sullivan KL, Zesiewicz T. Chorea in a patient with cerebral palsy: Treatment with levetiracetam. /Mov Disord /2005;20:762-764.
43. Sullivan KL, Hauser RA,* Louis ED*, Chari G, Zesiewicz TA. Levetiracetam for the treatment of generalized dystonia. /Parkinsonism Related Disord /2005;11:469-471.
44. Rincon F, *Louis ED*. Benefits and risks of pharmacological and surgical treatments for essential tremor: Disease mechanisms and current management./ Expert Opin Drug Saf/ 2005;4:899-913.
45. Lugassy M,* Louis ED*. Neurological manifestations of Whipple's disease. /Curr Infect Dis Rep/ 2006;8:301-306.
46. *Louis E*, Moskowitz C, Friez M, Amaya M, Vonsattel JPG. Parkinsonism, dysautonomia, and intranuclear inclusions in a fragile X carrier: A clinical-pathological study. /Mov Disord 2006/;21:420-425.
47. Benito-Leon J, *Louis ED*, Bermejo-Pareja F. Population-based case-control study of cognitive function in essential tremor. /Neurology/ 2006;66:69-74.
48. *Louis ED*, Horn S, Roth LA. The neurological content of Silas Weir Mitchell's fiction. /Neurology/ 2006;66:403-407.
49. *Louis ED*, Schupf N, Marder K, Tang MX. Functional correlates of mild Parkinsonian signs in the community-dwelling elderly: Poor balance and inability to ambulate independently./ Mov Disord/ 2006;21:411-416.
50. Clark LN, Afridi S, Karlins E, Wang Y, Mejia-Santana H, Harris J, *Louis ED*, Cote LJ, Andrews H, Fahn S, Waters C, Ford B, Frucht S, Ottman R, Marder K. Case-control study of the Parkin gene in early-onset Parkinson disease. /Arch Neurol 2006/;63:548-552.
51. Hafeman D, Ahsan H, Islam T, Louis E. Betel quid: Its tremor-producing effects in residents of Araihazar, Bangladesh./ Mov Disord/ 2006;21:567-571.
52. *Louis ED*, York GK. Weir Mitchell's observations on sensory localization and their influence on Jacksonian neurology. /Neurology/ 2006;66:1241-1244.
53. *Louis ED*, Luchsinger JA. History of vascular disease and mild Parkinsonian signs in the community-dwelling elderly. /Arch N//eurol/ 2006;63:717-722.
54. Okun MS, Fernandez HH, Rodriguez RL, Romrell J, Suelter M, Munson S, *Louis ED*, Mulligan T, Foster PS, Shenal BV, Armaghani SJ, Wu S, Crucian G. Testosterone replacement therapy in men with Parkinson's disease: The TEST-PD study. /Arch Neurol/ 2006;63:729-735.
55. Benito-Leon J, *Louis ED*, Bermejo-Pareja F. Elderly onset essential tremor is associated with dementia. The NEDICES study. /Neurology/ 2006;66:1500-1505.
56. *Louis ED*, Vonsattel JPG, Honig LS, Ross GW, Lyons KE, Pahwa R. Neuropathological findings in essential tremor. /Neurology/ 2006;66:1756-1759.
57. Jain S Lo SE, *Louis ED*. Common misdiagnosis of a common neurological disorder: How are we misdiagnosing essential tremor. /Arch Neurol/ 2006;63:1100-1104. * *
58. *Louis ED*, Vonsattel JPG, Honig LS, Lawton A, Moskowitz C, Ford B, Frucht S,. Essential Tremor associated with pathological changes in the cerebellum. /Arch Neurol/ 2006;63:1189-1193.
59. *Louis ED*, Yu W, Floyd AG, Moskowitz C, Pullman SL. Axis is a feature of handwritten spirals in essential tremor. /Mov Disord/ 2006;21:1294-1295.
60. *Louis ED*, Factor-Litvak P, Parides M, Andrews L, Santella RM, Wolff MS. Organochlorine pesticide exposure in essential tremor: A case-control study using biological and occupational exposure assessments. /Neurotoxicol/ 2006;27:579-586.
61. Clark LN, Wang Y, Karlins E, Siato L, Mejia-Santana H, Harris J, *Louis ED*, Cote LJ, Andrews H, Fahn S, Waters C, Ford B, Frucht S, Ottman R, Marder K. Frequency of LRRK2 mutations in early and late-onset Parkinson's disease. /Neurology/ 2006;67:1786-1791.
62. *Louis ED*, Rios E, Applegate LM, Hernandez NC, Andrews HF. Jaw tremor: Prevalence and clinical correlates in three essential tremor case samples. /Mov Disord/ 2006 2006;21:1872-1878.
63. Leegwater-Kim J, *Louis ED*, Borden S, Moskowitz CB, Honig L. Intention tremor of the head in patients with essential tremor. /Mov Disord /2006;21:2001-2005.
64. *Louis ED*, Ottman R. A Study of possible factors associated with age of onset in essential tremor. /Mov Disord /2006;21:1980-1986.
65. Elble RJ and the Tremor Research Group and Conference Attendees. Report from a US conference on essential tremor. /Mov Disord/ 2006;21:2052-2061.
66. Benito-Leon J, *Louis ED*. Essential tremor: emerging views of a common disorder. /Nat Clin Pract Neurol /2006;2:666-678.