Peter Stetson, MD, MA
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Associate Professor of
Clinical Biomedical Informatics
Peter D. Stetson, MD, MA is the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Medical Informatics Officer for ColumbiaDoctors, one of the nation's largest multi-specialty physician organizations. He is an NIH-funded investigator, hospitalist, and informatician. He has overseen the successful implementation of Allscripts Enterprise EHR to over 1000 physicians in ColumbiaDoctors, and has developed novel interoperability solutions between vendor EHRs. Under his direction, ColumbiaDoctors has attested successfully for Meaningful Use, and is leveraging Health IT to improve ambulatory care quality and care coordination. He has built advanced physician documentation systems in production use for over 5 years in the inpatient and outpatient setting by thousands of providers. He has developed and validated underlying models and measurement tools for provider documentation, including physician handoff tools. His research lab (Informatics Intervention Research Collaboration- I2RC) has developed novel methods for detecting redundancy of work and data in electronic health records, and documentation quality. He also serves as the co-chair of the Clinical Decision Support Committee for New-York Presbyterian Hospital, developing and managing alerts.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Fred MR, Vawdrey DK, Stein DM, Stetson PD . [Abstract] Enhancing a commercial electronic health record with a novel patient handoff application. SHM Conference 2009
- Dine DC, Stetson PD . Natural Language Processing to Assess Venous Thromboembolism Risk. AMIA 2009
- Hyun S, Johnson SB, Stetson PD , Bakken S. Development and evaluation of nursing user interface screens using multiple methods. J Biomed Inform. 2009 Dec;42(6):1004-1012. Epub 2009 May 19
- Hyun S, Shapiro JS, Melton G, Schlegel C, Stetson PD , Johnson SB, Bakken S. Iterative evaluation of the health level 7--logical observation identifiers names and codes clinical document ontology for representing clinical document names: a case report. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009 May-Jun;16(3):395-399.
- Stein DM, Wrenn JO, Stetson PD , Bakken S. What “To-Do” with Physician Task Lists: Clinical Task Model Development and Electronic Health Record Design Implications. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2009: p. 624-628
- Walsh, C, Stetson, P . “Resident education using Web 2.0 and Mobile Platforms: Comparison of PC versus Handheld Clinical Resources at Point of Care,” AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2010: 1295
- Wrenn JO, Stein DM, Bakken S, Stetson PD . Quantifying Clinical Narrative Redundancy in an Electronic Health Record. JAMIA 2010;17:49-53
- Healy KO, Waksmonski CA, Altman RK, Stetson PD , Reyentovich A, Maurer MS. Perioperative outcome and long-term mortality for heart failure patients undergoing intermediate- and high-risk noncardiac surgery: impact of left ventricular ejection fraction. Congest Heart Fail. 2010 Mar;16(2):45-49
- Stein DM, Vawdrey DK, Stetson PD , Bakken S. An analysis of team checklists in physician signout notes. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2010 Nov 13;2010:767-71.
- Stein D, Stetson PD . Time to Sign Off on Signout. Acad Med. 2011 Jul;86(7):804-6.
- Collins S, Stein D, Vawdrey DK, Stetson PD , Bakken S. Content Overlap in Nurse and Physician Handoff Artifacts and the Potential Role of Electronic Health Records: A Systematic Review. J Biomed Inform. 2011 Aug;44(4):704-12. Epub 2011 Feb 2.
- Vawdrey DK, Wilcox LG, Collins SA, Feiner S, Mamykina O , Stein DM, Bakken S, Fred M, Stetson PD . Awareness of the care team in electronic health records. Applied Clinical Informatics 2011 2(4): 395-405.
- Stetson PD , Bakken S, Wrenn JO, Siegler ES. Assessing Electronic Note Quality Using the Physician Documentation Quality Instrument (PDQI-9). Applied Clinical Informatics 2012 3(2): 164-174.
- Stetson PD , Johnson SB, Scotch M, Hripcsak G. The Sublanguage of Cross-Coverage. Proceedings of AMIA 2002 pgs. 742-746 (awarded Best Paper on Application, AMIA 2002 Symposium)
- Stein DM, Wrenn JO, Johnson SB, Stetson PD . Signout: A Collaborative Document with Implications for the Future of Clinical Information Systems. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2007 pgs. 696-700.
- Stetson PD , McKnight LK, Bakken S, Curran C, Kubose TT, Cimino JJ. Development of an Ontology to Model Medical Errors, Information Needs, and the Clinical Communication Space. Proceedings of AMIA. 2001 pgs. 672 – 676. (Republished in “Enabling Patient Safety Through Informatics” supplemental edition of JAMIA Nov/Dec 2002 Vol 9(6) pgs. s86-91 )
- McKnight LK, Stetson PD , Bakken S, Curran C, Cimino J. Perceived Information Needs and Communication Difficulties of Inpatient Physicians and Nurses. JAMIA Nov/Dec 2002 Vol 9(6) pgs. s64-69
- Chen, E.S., E.A. Mendonca, L.K. McKnight, P.D. Stetson , J. Lei, J.J. Cimino, PalmCIS: A Wireless Handheld Application for Satisfying Clinician Information Needs. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 2004. 11 (1): p. 19-28.
- Stetson PD , Lee PG, Shea S. [Abstract] Electronic Documentation With eNote Enhances Physician Billing on an Academic Hospitalist Unit. 2006 Society of Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting. pg. 27
- Chen ES, Stetson PD , Lussier YA, Markatou M, Hripcsak G, Friedman C. Detection of Practice Pattern Trends through Natural Language Processing of Clinical Narratives and Biomedical Literature. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2007 pgs. 120-124.
Click HERE for Columbia University Dvision of General Medicine Home Site