Publications Begun and/or Completed during Fellowship 2008-Present
- Hsu A, Card A , Lin SX, Mota S, Carrasquillo O, Moran A. Changes in postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy use among women with high cardiovascular risk. Am J Public Health 2009;99(12):2184-7.
- Rausch JC , Perito ER, Hametz P. Obesity prevention, screening, and treatment: practices of pediatric providers since the 2007 expert committee recommendations. Clin Pediatr 2011 May;50(5):434-41.
- Stockwell MS, Rausch J, Sonnett M, Stanberry LR, Rosenthal SL. Parental reasons for utilization of an urban emergency department during the 2009 H1N1 influenza epidemic Pediatr Emerg Care 2011 Apr;27(4):261-5.
- Yen C, Jakob K, Esona MD, Peckham X, Rausch J, Hull JJ, Whittier S, Gentsch JR, Larussa P. Detection of fecal shedding of rotavirus vaccine in infants following their first dose of pentavlant rotavirus vaccine. Vaccine 2011 May 31;29(24):4151-5
- Winston GJ, Barr RG, Carrasquillo O, Bertoni AG, Shea S. Sex and racial/ethnic differences in cardiovascular risk factor treatment and control among persons with diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Diabetes Care 2009;32(8):1467-9.
- Kiefer EM , Shao T, Carrasquillo O, Nabeta P, Seas C. Knowledge and attitudes of tuberculosis management in San Juan de Lurigancho district of Lima, Peru. J Infect Dev Countries 2009;3:783-8.
- Kiefer EM , Hankinson JL, Barr RG. The Relationship of age and height to lung function is the same for whites, African-Americans, and Hispanics. Am J Epidemiol 2011;173:376-87. [Featured research]
- Kiefer EM , Hankinson JL, Rabinowitz D, Barr RG. Keifer et al. respond to On population subgroups, mathematics, and interventions. Am J Epidemiol 2011;173:391-393.
- Davidson KW, Korin MR . Depression and cardiovascular disease: selected findings, controversies, and clinical implications from 2009. Cleve Clin J Med 2010;77 Suppl 3:S20-6.
- Korin M , Kaplan RM, Davidson KW. Evidence-Based Medicine. In: Suls JM, Davidson KW, Kaplan R M (eds.). Handbook of Health Psychology . New York: Guilford Publications. In press.
- Iyer P, Korin M , Higginbotham L, Davidson KW. Anger, Angry Behavior, and Health. In: Suls JM, Davidson KW, Kaplan RM (eds.). Handbook of Health Psychology . New York: Guilford
Publications. In press.
- Stockwell MS , Martinez RA , Hofstetter A , Natarajan K , Vawdrey DK . Timeliness of 2009 H1N1 vaccine coverage in a low-income pediatric and adolescent population. Vaccine. 2011 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hansen JD, Shimbo D, Shaffer JA , Hong S, Borda T, Ventura A, Schwartz JE, Harlapur M, Davidson KW. Finding the glass half full? Optimism is protective of 10-year incident CHD in a population-based study: the Canadian Nova Scotia Health Survey. Int J Cardiol 2010 ;145(3):603-4.
- Hansen JD, Shimbo D, Shaffer JA , Hong S, Borda T, Ventura A, Schwartz JE, Harlapur M, Davidson KW. Find the glass half full? Optimism is independently predictive of 10-year incident CHD in a population-based study: The Canadian Nova Scotia Health Survey. Int J Cardiol 2010;145:603-604.
- Shaffer JA, Whang W, Shimbo D, Burg M, Schwartz JE, Davidson KW. Do different depression phenotypes have different risks for recurrent coronary heart disease? Health Psych Rev 2011;eFirst.
- Wasson LT, Shimbo D, Rubin M, Shaffer JA , Schwartz JE, Davidson KW. Is severe vitamin D deficiency a risk factor for ischemic heart disease in patients with established cardiovascular disease? 10-year follow-up of the Nova Scotia Health Survey. Int J Cardiol 2011;148:387-389.
- Shaffer JA , Edmondson D, Chaplin WF, Schwartz JE, Shimbo D, Burg MM, Rieckmann N, Davidson KW. Directionality of the relationship between depressive symptom dimensions and C-reactive protein in patients with acute coronary syndromes. Psychosom Med . In press.
- Newman JD, Davidson KW, Shaffer JA , Schwartz JE, Chaplin W, Kirkland S, & Shimbo D. Observed hostility and the risk of incident ischemic heart disease: A prospective population study from the 1995 Canadian Nova Scotia Health Survey. J Am Coll Cardiol . In press.
- Silbiger JJ, Stein R, Trost B, Shaffer JA, Kim J-H, Cohen P, Kamran M. Coronary angiographic findings and conventional coronary artery disease risk factors of Indo-Guyanese immigrants with stable angina pectoris and acute coronary syndromes. Ethn Dis 2012; 22: 12-14.
- Shaffer JA, Wasson LT, Davidson KW, Schwartz JE, Kirkland S, Shimbo D. Blood pressure reactivity to anger provocation does not predict incident cardiovascular disease events: The Canadian Nova Scotia Health Survey [NSHS95] prospective population study. Int J Hypertens 2012, Article ID 658128
- Edmondson D, Shaffer JA, Denton E, Shimbo D, Clemow LP. Posttraumatic stress and myocardial infarction risk perceptions in hospitalized ACS patients. Front Clin Psychol 2012; 3: 1-4.
Shaffer JA, Davidson KW, Schwartz JE, Shimbo D, Newman JD, Gurland BJ, Maurer MS. Prevalence and characteristics of anergia (lack of energy) in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Am J Cardiol 2012; 110: 1213-1218.
- Richardson S, Shaffer JA, Falzon L, Krupka D, Davidson KW, Edmondson D. Meta-analysis of perceived stress and its association with coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol 2012; 110: 1711-1716.
- Singer JR, Palmas W, Teresi J, Weinstock R, Shea S, Luchsinger JA. Adiponectin and All-cause Mortality in Elderly People with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2012 Sep;35(9):1858-63.
- Oelsner EC, Pottinger TD, Burkart KM, Allison M, Buxbaum SG, Raghavan S, Rabinowitz D, Enright P, Hansel N, Kumar R, Larkin E, Lange L, Loehr L, London SJ, O'Connor GT, Papanicolaou G, Petrini M, Redline S, Thyagarajan B, Tracy R, Wilk J, White W, Rich SS, Barr RG. Adhesion molecules, endothelin-1 and lung function in seven population-based cohorts. The Candidate-gene Association Resource (CARe). Biomarkers (in press).
- Burkart KM, Wilk JB, Enright PL, Ahmed F, Hansel N, Haynes D, Heckbert S, Loehr L, London SJ, Lyon H, O’Connor GT, Oelsner EC, Petrini M, Redline S, Smith L, White W, Rich SS, Barr RG. Cardiovascular candidate genes are associated with lung function in European-Americans and African-Americans. The Candidate-gene Association Resource (CARe). American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (revision requested December 2012).
Research Presentations by Fellows since 2006 (of work not listed under publications)
- Card A, Carrasquillo O. The association between acculturation status and cardiovascular disease risk factors. J Gen Int Med 2007;22 (suppl1):152.
- Card A , Carrasquillo O. Using lay community health workers to increase the enrollment and recruitment of minorities in cancer clinical trials. Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting.
- Kiefer, E , Shea S, Barr RG. Unified spirometry reference equations for adults in a multi-ethnic US population. Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting.
- Newman JD, Berg M M, Korin MR , Shah A, Schwartz J, Davidson KW. Hostility, only in the presence of chronic inflammation, predicts incident coronary heart disease in a population-based study. Presented at the American Heart Association- Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Annual Conference, 2009.
- Korin MR , Masud A, Albanese G, Davidson KW. Does believing make the difference? Women's health beliefs predict coronary heart disease incidence in a population based sample. Society for Behavioral Medicine, Montreal, Canada, 2009.
- Davidson KW, Mostofsky E, Korin MR , Kronish I, Schwartz J, Kirkland S, Shimbo D. Constructing constructive anger: protection against incident coronary heart disease in a population-based study. American Psychosomatic Medicine Society, 2009.
- Shaffer JA, Edmondson DE, Chaplin W, Schwartz JE, Stone A. Anxiety and anger in daily life: Contributions of the person and situation in momentary assessments of elicited states. Presented at 68th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Psychosomatic Society, 2010 (Poster presentation).
- Shaffer JA , Davidson KW, Kestenbaum B, Siscovick D, de Boer I. 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency is associated with elevated depressive symptoms: Results from the Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Presented at 11th International Congress of Behavioral Medicine, 2010 (Podium presentation).
- Shaffer JA , Edmondson D, Chaplin WF, Schwartz JE, Iyer P, Burg MM, Rieckmann N, Davidson KW. Cognitive-affective and total depression symptom severity predict changes in C-reactive protein (CRP) in patients with acute coronary syndromes (ACS). Presented at 11th International Congress of Behavioral Medicine 2010 (Poster presentation).
- Shaffer JA , Davidson KW, Shimbo D. Depression subtypes, inflammation, and new coronary heart disease (CHD) events in patients with known CHD. Presented at 15th World Congress on Heart Disease, 2010 (Podium presentation).
- Davidson KW, Shaffer JA , Schwartz JE, Kirkland SA, Mostofsky E, Fink D, Guernsey D, Shimbo D. Relationship between depression and C-reactive protein levels and first coronary heart disease event. 15th World Congress on Heart Disease, 2010 (Podium presentation).
- Edmondson D, Kronish I, Harlapur M, Shaffer JA, Davidson KW, Schwartz JE, Burg MM, Iyer P, Shimbo D, Clemow L, Rieckmann N. Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms predict worse long-term cardiovascular prognosis in post-acute coronary syndrome (ACS) patients. Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association, 2010 (Podium presentation).
- Denton E, Shaffer JA, Davidson KW, Chaplin W. Depression phenotypes among ACS patients. Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association, 2010 (Poster presentation).
- Korin MR , Chaplin WF, Shaffer JA, Butler M, Ojie M, Davidson KW. Is family history risk for incident coronary heart disease in part because of fatalistic health beliefs' influence on health behavior? An empirical test of the Mickey Mantle effect using a population-based sample. 138 th American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, 2010 (Podium presentation).
- Edmondson D, Shaffer JA , Denton E, Shimbo D, Clemow L. PTSD recurrence risk perceptions in acute coronary syndrome patients. 69 th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Psychosomatic Society, 2011 (Podium presentation).
- Newman JD, Shimbo D, Shaffer JA , Muntner P, Edmondson D. PTSD intrusions predict pre-hospital delay in patients with myocardial infarction. American Heart Association Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Conference, 2011 (Poster presentation).
- Thomas O, Findley SE, Irigoyen M, Martinez RA, Stockwell MS. Ethnic disparities in influenza vaccination coverage for Latino children aged 6-36 months. Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting 2009 (Poster presentation).
- Thomas O , Stockwell M, Meyer D. Maternal factors associated with Medicaid/SCHIP renewal for low-income, minority children. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2011. (Poster presentation).
- Sirota D, Hametz P Portion control and vegetable consumption in the Latino community: A pilot study to establish better eating practices. Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting 2011 (Poster presentation).
- Sirota D , Andres Martinez R, Berger-Jenkins E, Meyer D. The effect of school physical activity on students' leisure activity in a predominantly urban Latino community. Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting 2010. (Poster presentation).
- Hofstetter AO , Andres Martinez R, Natarajan K, Stockwell MS. Extent and timeliness of seasonal influenza vaccination coverage in children from an underserved community, 2004-2008. Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting 2010. (Poster presentation).
- Hofstetter AO, Andres Martinez R, Natarajan K, Stockwell MS. Timeliness of pediatric influenza vaccination compared to seasonal influenza activity in an urban underserved community, 2004-2008. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2011, (Poster Symposium).National Immunization Conference 2011.
- Bernstein C . Soren K, Stockwell M, Rosenthal S, Gallagher MP. Mood and behavioral disorders in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine Annual Meeting 2011.
- Siddiqui A , Westhoff C. Barriers to accessing voluntary postpartum female tubal sterilization among minority and low-income women. North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting 2011.
- Powell RE , Hoffman EA, Hankinson JL, Austin JHM, Carr JJ, Enright P, Lederer DJ, Watson KE, Barr RG, Lung size contribution to racial-based differences in pulmonary function tests: quantitative CT in the MESA Lung Study. Presented at the American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting, Denver, 2011 (poster).
- Powell RE, Manichaikul A, Burkart KM, Mychaleckyj J, Raffel LJ, Rich SS, Barr RG. A genome-wide association study to assess loci associated with lung function among Hispanic-Americans and Asian-Americans: The MESA Lung SHARe Study. Presented at the American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting, Denver, 2011 (poster).
- Singer J, Palmas W, Shea S, Luchsinger J. Adiponectin and all-cause mortality in a cohort of elderly people with type 2 diabetes. Presented at the Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 2011 (podium presentation).
- Powell RE , Davidson D, Divers J, Carr JJ, Detrano R, Hoffman EA, Jiang R, Kronmal R, Liu K, Punjabi NM, Shahar E, Taylor K, Watson KE, Rotter J, Rich SS, Barr RG. Does genetic ancestry modify the relationship of smoking and lung function? The MESA Lung Study. (Abstract submitted). The European Respiratory Society Annual Congress 2011.
Selected Publications by Fellows 1999-2005
and/or Begun during Fellowship
- Lubetkin EI , Krackov SK, Storey-Johnson C. The use of questionnaires to assess achievement of course goals in medical students' longitudinal community-based clinical experiences. Acad Med 1999;74:1316-9.
- Lubetkin EI . Schmidt H, Charon R. Risks and benefits of early clinical exposure. Acad Med 1999;74:1153.
- Isasi CR , Starc TJ, Tracy R, Deckelbaum R, Berglund L, Shea S. Inverse Association of physical fitness with plasma fibrinogen level in children. Am J Epidemiol 2000;152(3):212-18.
- Isasi CR , Couch SC, Starc T, Deckelbaum RJ, Shea S, Berglund L. The apolipoprotein A allele is associated with an anti-atherogenic lipoprotein profile in children: Columbia Biomarkers
Study. Pediatrics 2000;106(3):568-75.
- Luchsinger JA, Tang MX, Stern Y, Shea S, Mayeux R. Diabetes mellitus and risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia with stroke in a multiethnic cohort. Am J Epidemiology 2001;154:635-41.
- Luchsinger JA , Pablos-Mendez A, Knirsch C, Rabinowitz D, Shea S. Antibiotic use and risk of ischemic stroke in the elderly. Am J Medicine 2001;111:361-6.
- Luchsinger JA , Pablos-Mendez A, Knirsch C, Rabinowitz D, Shea S. Relation of antibiotic use to risk of myocardial infarction in the general population. Am J Cardiology 2002;89:18-2.
- DeLaet D , Shea S, Carrasquillo O. Receipt of preventive services among privately insured minorities in managed care versus fee-for-service insurance plans. J Gen Int Med 2002;17:451-457.
- Pati S, Romero D, Chavkin W. Changes in utilization of health insurance and food assistance programs in Manhattan in the wake of welfare reform. Am J Pub Health 2002;92:1441-5.
- Isasi CR , Deckelbaum RJ, Tracy RP, Starc TJ, Berglund L, Shea S. Physical fitness and C-reactive protein level in children and young adults: Columbia BioMarkers Study. Pediatrics 2003;111:332-338.
- Chang JJ , Luchsinger JA, Shea S. Antihypertensive medicine class and pulse pressure in the elderly: Analysis based on the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Med 2003;115:536-542.
- Luchsinger JA , Lee W , Carrasquillo O, Rabinowitz D, Shea S. Body mass index and hospitalizations in the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003;51:1615-20.
- Chang JJ , Rabinowitz D, Shea S. Sources of variability in blood pressure measurement using the Dinamap PRO 100 automated oscillometric device. Am J Epidemiol 2003;158:1218-1226.
- Pati S , Shea S, Rabinowitz D, Carrasquillo O. Does gatekeeping control costs for privately insured children? Findings from the 1996 medical expenditure panel survey. Pediatrics 2003;111:456-460.
- Chang J , Luchsinger JA. Antibiotics and risk of deep venous thrombosis. Int J Angiol 2003;12:55-8.
- DasGupta, S. Reading bodies, writing bodies: self reflection and cultural critique in a narrative medicine curriculum. Literature & Medicine 2003;22(2):241-56.
- DasGupta, S. We're not in Kansas anymore: men as medical mentors. This Side of Doctoring. E Lo Chin (ed) 2003.
- Carrasquillo O, Pati S . Disparities in Pap smear and mammography utilization by female immigrants: The role of health insurance. Prev Med 2004;39:943-950.
- DasGupta S . Charon R. Personal illness: Reflective writing to teach empathy. Acad Med 2004;79(4):351-6.
- Pickering TG, Yacoub MR . Sleep Apnea and Hypertension. In: Secondary Hypertension: Clinical Presentation, Diagnosis, and Treatment (Mansoor G, ed.). 2004; Humana Press Inc., Totowa, NJ, pp. 307-332.
- Hummel EK , Ubel PA. Cost and clinical practice guidelines: can two wrongs make it right? Virtual Mentor 2004; 6(12).
- Pati S , Shea S, Rabinowitz D, Carrasquillo O. Health expenditures for privately ensured adults in managed care gatekeeping vs. indemnity plans: Findings from the 1996 MEPS. Am J Pub Health 2005:95:288-291.
- Press R , Carrasquillo O, Nickolas T, Radhakrishnan J, Shea S, Barr RG. Race/ethnicity, poverty status and renal transplant outcomes. Transplantation 2005:80;917-924.
- Moharty S, Woolhandler S, Himmelstein DU, Pati S , Carrasquillo O, Bor DH. Health care expenditures of immigrants in the United States: A nationally representative analysis. Am J Pub Health 2005:95;1431-1438.
- Nash D, Katyal M, Shah NS . Trends in predictors of death due to HIV-related causes among persons living with AIDS in New York City, 19932001. J Urban Health 2005; 82(4):584-600.
- Eguchi K. Yacoub M, Pickering TG, et al. Consistency of blood pressure differences between the left and right arms. Arch Int Med 2007;167(4):388-93.
- Jones DP, Camargo CA Jr, Speizer FE, Barr RG. Prospective study of short stature and newly diagnosed asthma in women. Journal of Asthma 2007;44:291-295.
- Chehab LG, Pfeffer B, Vargas I, Chen S, Irigoyen M. Energy Up!: A novel approach to the weight management of inner-city teens J Adolesc Health 2007;40(5):474-6.
- Stockwell MS , Brown J, Chen S, Irigoyen M. Is there a relationship between lacking a primary care provider and child abuse? Ambul Pediatr 2007;7(6):439-44.
- Press R , Carrasquillo O, Sciacca R, Giardina EGV. Racial & ethnic disparities in time to follow-up after an abnormal mammogram. J Women's Health 2008;17(6):923-30.
- Findley SE, Irigoyen M, Sanchez M, Stockwell MS , Mejia M, Guzman L, Ferreira R, Pena O, Chen S, Andres-Martinez R. Effectiveness of a community coalition for improving child vaccination rates in New York City. Am J Public Health 2008;98(11):1959-62.
- Stockwell MS, Brown J, Chen S, Vaughan RD, Irigoyen M. Is underimmunization associated with child maltreatment? Ambul Pediatr 2008;8(3):210-3.
- Irigoyen M, Glassman ME, Chen S, Findley SE. Early onset of overweight and obesity among low-income 1- to 5-year olds in New York City. J Urban Health 2008;85(4):545-54.
- Findley SE, Sanchez M, Mejia M, Ferreira R, Pena O, Matos S, Stockwell MS, Irigoyen M. Effective strategies for integrating immunization promotion into community programs. Health Promot Pract 2009;10(2 Suppl):128S-137S.
- Findley SE, Irigoyen M, Stockwell MS, Chen S. Changes in childhood immunization disparities between central cities and their respective states, 2000 versus 2006.
J Urban Health 2009;86(2):183-95.
- Stockwell MS, Findley SE, Irigoyen M, Martinez RA, Sonnett M. Change in parental reasons for use of an urban pediatric emergency department in the past decade. Pediatr Emerg Care 2010;26(3):181-5.
- Glassman ME , Figueroa M, Irigoyen M. Latino parents' perceptions of their ability to prevent obesity in their children. Fam Community Health 2011;34(1):4-16.