Tube Specification Outline
For Cell Lines and DNA Isolation:
1. Use ACD tubes (yellow top vacutainer tubes) for cell lines. Heparin or EDTA tubes may be used for DNA Extraction but not for Cell Lines.
Tubes can be ordered from BD Medical Supplies: www.bd.com
2. Maintain blood at room temperature for Cell Lines.
3. Please draw at least 2 tubes of blood (8-10 mls in each tube) although 3 tubes would be preferable. Use a 20G needle. Finer needles may rupture the RBC, and the blood may hemolyse.
4. Invert the tube twice after blood draw.
5. Bloods should reach the lab within 48 hours after being drawn. Blood which is 5 days old is not suitable for cell lines.