Recent Publications and Presentations
1. Desvarieux M-E, Sciacca R, Kronenberg F, Giardina E-GV. Apolipoproteins: A Potential Target for Cardiovascular Risk Stratification in Postmenopausal Women with Components of the Metabolic Syndrome, Circulation 2005;111: e40 - e88, p45
2. Cassetta, JA, Boden-Albala B, Sciacca R, Giardina E-G V. Effect of Education and Race/Ethnicity on Physical Activity in an Insured, Urban Population of Women, presented at the 2nd International Conference on Women, Heart Disease and Stroke, Orlando, Florida,February 18, 2005
3. Desvarieux M, Sciacca R, Kronenberg F, Giardina E-GV. Apolipoproteins: A potential target for cardiovascular risk stratification in postmenopausal women with components of the metabolic syndrome presented at the 2nd International Conference on Women, Heart Disease and Stroke, Orlando, Florida, February 17, 2005.
4. Press R, Carrasquillo O, Giardina EGV. Disparities in follow-up after an abnormal mammogram. J Gen Int Med. 2005;20S1:211.
6. Cassetta JA, Giardina EGV. Low levels of physical activity in women: risks, costs, and solutions. Harvard Health Policy Review, 2005, 5 (2): 55-59.
7. Giardina EGV, Cassetta, JA, Weiss MW, Stein M, Press R, Frassetto G. Reflections on a decade of experience in implementing a Center for Women’s Health at an academic medical center. J Women’s Health 2006, 15(3);319-329
8. Cassetta JA, Laudano M, Boden-Albala B, Sciacca RR, Giardina E-GV. Physical activity levels for women: comparison of two New York City populations. American Academy of Neurology, San Diego, CA, April 6, 2006
9. Yala SM, Cadeiras M, Bayern MP, Gangadin AR, Naka Y, Mancini EM, Giardina EV, Deng MC. Gender related considerations in patients referred for heart transplant evaluation. International Society for Heart Transplantation, San Francisco, CA, 2007
10. Yala SM, Cadeiras M, Bayern MP, Gangadin AR, Naka Y, Carron N, Mancini EM, Giardina EV, Deng MC.Can we optimize the evaluation and treatment of women with heart failure? American Transplant Congress, San Francisco, CA, 2007
11. Thande N, Emily Hurstak E, Sciacca RE, Giardina EGV. Management of obesity: a challenge for medical education and practice. Presentation to the American Heart Association 47th Annual conference on cardiovascular disease epidemiology and prevention, Orlando, Florida February 28, 2007
12. Thande N, Hurstak E, Sciacca RE, Giardina EGV. Lifestyle modification counseling: resident and attending physician practices. Presented at the American Federation for Medical Research Eastern Regional Meeting, Washington DC, April 28,2007
15. Boden-Albala B, Sacco RL, Lee HS, Grahame-Clarke C, Rundek T, Elkind MV, Wright C, Giardina EGV, DiTullio MR, Homma S, Paik MC. Metabolic syndrome and ischemic stroke risk: Northern Manhattan Study. Stroke. 2008 Jan; 39(1):30-5.
16. Yala SM, Fleck E, Sciacca R, Castro D, Giardina EGV. Cardiovascular risk in women: The link between Framingham risk score and education inequalities. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51 (10): A347.
17. Yala SM, Cadeiras M , Henquin R, Mancini DM, Naka Y, Giardina EGV, MC Deng. Survival in Men and Women with Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction Lower Than 30% Referred for Orthotopic Heart Transplantation.ISHLT 28th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions, April 9 -12, 2008 Boston, MA , USA
19. Yala SM, Fleck EM, Sciacca R, Castro D, Giardina EGV. Relationship between Race/Ethnicity, Education and Household Income, and the Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome: Impact of Education in the Burden of Cardiovascular Disease in Women. Circulation 2008;117(19)35
20. Yala SM, Cadeiras M, Henquin R , Mancini DM, Naka Y, Giardina EG , Deng MC. Outcomes in Patients with Advanced Heart Failure and Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction 30% or Less Referred for Orthotopic Heart Transplantation: The Gender Paradox. Circulation 2008; 117(19) 36
21. Thandke NK, Hurstak EE, Sciacca R, Giardina EG. Management of obesity: a challenge for medical training and practice. Obesity. 2009;17(1):107-13
22. Giardina EG, Laudano M, Hurstak E, Saroff A, Fleck E, Sciacca R, Boden-Albala B, Cassetta J. Physical activity participation among Caribbean Hispanic women living in New York: relation to education, income, and age. J Women's Health. 2009;18(2): 187-93
23. Yala S, Fleck E., Sciacca RR, Castro D, Joseph Z, Giardina EG. Metabolic Syndrome and the Burden of Cardiovascular Disease in Caribbean Hispanic Women Living in Northern Manhattan: A Red Flag for Education. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2009 Jun 26
24.Epstein LB, Joseph Z, Sciacca R, Yala SM, Mull L, Weiss M, Giardina EG. Caribbean Hispanic Women at Risk for Coronary Heart Disease: Lack of Knowledge May Be Dangerous. American Heart Association. Quality of Care and Outcomes Research in Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke Conference, April 23, 2009; Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2009;2:e1-e66.
24. Mattina DJ, Mull L, Amin N, Paul T, Yala S, Sciacca R, Joseph Z, Giardina EG. Ethnic Differences in Body Size Perceptions. J Invest Med 2009: 57(4); 614.
25. Joseph, Z, Epstein L, Sciacca R, Yala S, Mull L, Weiss M, Akabas S, Giardina EG. Appreciation of Factors for Improving Weight Loss; a Comparison between Caribbean Hispanic and Non-Hispanic White Women. J Gen Int Med 2009; 24 (S1): 1-380.
26. Foody JM, Villablanca AC, Giardina EG, Gill S, Taylor AL, Leatherwood S, Haynes SG, D'Onofrio G. The Office on Women's Health Initiative to Improve Women's Heart Health: Program Description, Site Characteristics, and Lessons Learned. J Women's Health. 2010;19(3):507-16.
27, Villablanca AC, Beckett LA, Li Y, Leatherwood S, Gill SK, Giardina EG, Barron C, Foody JM, Haynes S, D'Onofrio G. Outcomes of comprehensive heart care programs in high-risk women. J Women's Health. 20l0;19(7):1313-25
28. Giardina EG, Sciacca RR, Foody JM et a. l The DHHS Office on Women's Health Initiative to Improve Women's Heart Health: focus on knowledge and awareness among women with cardiometabolic risk factors. J Womens Health. 2011;20(6):893-900
30. Getaneh A, Giardina EG, Findley. Factors related to weigfht loss attempts among dominican immigrants. J Immigr Minor Health. 2012:591-7.