Approved by Executive Committee of Medical Board as a Standing Committee on December 18, 1991.
STATEMENT OF CHARGE TO COMMITTEE:
1. The CPMC Medical Ethics Advisory Committee ("Committee") shall:
a. Assist the Executive Committee of the Medical Board in the development and review of policies relating to (1) ethical responsibilities and (2) hospital legal responsibilities concerning bioethical issues.
b. Enhance education among the medical and health care staff concerning bioethical issues.
c. At the request of any medical staff member, be available for consultation on a patient care matter involving a bioethical issue.
2. Committee members shall be appointed by the Medical Board. Representation on the Committee shall be as follows:
Medical Staff (6) Risk Management (1) Nursing Staff (3) Dean's Office (1) Administration (1) Center for Society Social Work Services (1) and Medicine (2) Chaplain's Office (1) Legal (1)A Chairperson of the Committee shall be appointed by the President of the Medical Board.
3. The full Committee shall meet as called by the Chairperson. Each member of the Committee shall designate a temporary replacement who shall attend meetings in the event that the Committee member is unable to attend and who shall have the right to vote.
4. Subcommittees may be appointed by the Chairperson. Meetings of any subcommittee shall occur as necessary to carry out its function.
5. Recommendations of the Committee shall be forwarded to the Executive Committee of the Medical Board.
6. Records of Committee proceedings and attendance shall be kept by a secretary to be appointed by the Chairperson.
7. The Committee shall report at least annually to the Medical Board.