The Pediatric Pain Medicine Program provides specialized care to a young population of patients who suffer from a variety of acute and chronic pain syndromes. We offer both in-patient and out-patient diagnosis and treatment of pain.Our group consists of a specialized team of physicians and nurses who work in consultation with child life specialists, psychologists, psychiatrists, physical and occupational therapists to provide a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to pain management. State-of-the-art techniques are used to achieve maximum levels of comfort for all children. Some of the techniques used to treat inpatients include:
- Intravenous opioid infusions
- PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia)
- Epidural analgesics
- Regional nerve blocks
- Sedation for painful or scary procedures
- Focused breathing
- Guided imagery
- Family intervention and education
- Cognitive and behavioral therapies
- Behavioral as well as pharmacological management of anxiety and depression associated with pain and disease
Physicians and surgeons can contact our Inpatient Service by paging x75880 and then dialing "OUCH" (6824).
In addition to providing services for inpatients, our Outpatient Pediatric Pain Center provides consultation and treatment services for chronic pain syndromes afflicting children such as:
- Chronic cancer related pain
- Recurrent Abdominal Pain
- Complex Regional Pain Syndromes (such as "RSD") Neuropathies
- Pain associated with Sickle Cell Disease
- Pain associated with Arthritis and the Autoimmune disorders
- Pain associated with Cystic Fibrosis Sports related pain
- HIV/AIDS related pain
- Head and Oro-facial pain
- Palliative Care
Physicians can refer patients to our Outpatient Pediatric Pain Center or at (212) 305-7114.
Pain in children has often been under-treated in the past, however, today, children have available a multitude of treatment options.
Alleviating pain and suffering in children is no longer a luxury - it is a "necessity".
Pediatric Pain Center Clinical Staff:
Anthony Clapcich, MD
John Saroyan, MD, F.A.A.P.
William Schechter, MD, M.S., F.A.A.P.
Mary Ellen Tresgallo, MS, MPH, APRN-BC, FNP