William Whang, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
- Post Doctoral:
- M.S., Health Policy (1998), Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health
- M.D., Medical School (1998), Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons
- B.A., Economics (1993), Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Dr. William Whang's research is in psychosocial predictors of arrhythmia. He is PI for an NIH-sponsored study of cardiac autonomic imbalance associated with post-traumatic stress disorder due to acute coronary syndrome. He has previously published on the relationship between depressive symptoms and shock-treated ventricular arrhythmias in patients with defibrillators, and the relation between depressive symptoms and sudden cardiac death in a large cohort of women without known heart disease. He is leading a project that seeks to identify markers of arrhythmia risk by resting 12-lead electrocardiogram in patients with depression after acute coronary syndrome. He is a practicing cardiac electrophysiologist.
- Whang W, Albert CM, Sears SF, Lampert R, Conti JB, Wang PJ, Singh JP, Ruskin JN, Muller JE, Mittleman MA. Depression as a predictor for appropriate shocks among patients with implantable cardiovertor-defibrillators: results from the Triggers of Ventricular Arrhythmias (TOVA) Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45:1190-1195.
- Whang W, Kubzansky LD, Kawachi I, Rexrode KM, Kroenke CH, Garan H, Albert CM. Symptoms of depression, antidepressant use, and risk of sudden cardiac death and coronary events among women. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53:950-958.
- Davidson KW, Mostofsky E, Whang W. Don’t worry, be happy: positive affect and reduced 10-year incident coronary heart disease: The Canadian Nova Scotial Health Survey. Eur Heart J 2010;31:1065-70.
- Whang W, Julien HM, Higginbotham L, Soto AV, Broodie N, Bigger JT, Garan H, Burg MM, Davidson KW. Women, but not men have prolonged QT interval if depressed after an acute coronary syndrome. Europace 2011; 14:267-71.
- Whang W, Shimbo D, Levitan EB, Newman JD, Rautaharju PM, Davidson KW, Muntner P. Relations Between QRS|T Angle, Cardiac Risk Factors, and Mortality in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). Am J Cardiol 2012; 109:981-7.
- Whang W, Peacock J, Soto AV, Borda T, Bhatt AB, Richardson SI, Burg M, Davidson KW. Relationship between premature ventricular complexes and depressive symptoms in non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovascular Care 2013;2:61-67. NIHMS496428
- Whang W, Peacock J, Soliman EZ, Alcantara C, Nazarian S, Shah AJ, Davidson KW, Shea S, Muntner P, Shimbo D. Relations between depressive symptoms, anxiety, and T wave abnormalities in subjects without clinically-apparent cardiovascular disease (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis [MESA]). Am J Cardiol 2014;114:1917-22.