Donald Edmondson, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor of Behavioral Medicine
- M.P.H., Effectiveness and Outcomes Research (2012), Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health
- Ph.D., Psychology, Personality (2009), University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- M.A., Psychology, Clinical (2007), University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- B.A., History (2001), Union University, Jackson, TN
Dr. Donald Edmondson's research focuses on the potential for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) due to life-threatening illness, including cancer and coronary heart disease, as well as the cognitive mechanisms and clinical outcomes associated with PTSD in the medical context. His most recent research suggests that PTSD is often induced by acute coronary syndromes (ACS; i.e., myocardial infarction and unstable angina), and is associated with increased risk for recurrent cardiac events in ACS patients.
- Edmondson, D., Richardson, S., Falzon, L., Davidson, K.W., Mills, M.A., & Neria, Y. (2012). Posttraumatic stress disorder induced by acute coronary syndrome: A meta-analytic review of prevalence and associated clinical outcomes. PLoS ONE, http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0038915.
- Edmondson D., Shaffer J.A., Denton E-G., Shimbo D., and Clemow L. (2012). Posttraumatic stress and myocardial infarction risk perceptions in hospitalized acute coronary syndrome patients. Frontiers in Psychology 3:144. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00144
- Kronish, I. M., Edmondson, D., Li, Y., Cohen, B. (2012). Posttraumatic stress disorder and medication adherence: Results from the Mind Your Heart study. Journal of Psychiatric Research, in press.
- Kronish, I., Edmondson, D., Goldfinger, J., & Horowitz, C. (2012). Posttraumatic stress disorder and adherence to medications in survivors of strokes and transient ischemic attacks. Stroke. In press.
- Richardson, S., Shaffer, J.A., Falzon, L., Davidson, K.W., Krupka, D., & Edmondson, D. (2012). Metaanalysis of perceived stress and its association with incident coronary heart disease. American Journal of Cardiology, in press.
- Edmondson, D., Mills, M. A., & Park, C. L. (2010). Factor structure of the Acute Stress Disorder Scale in Hurricane Katrina evacuees. Psychological Assessment, 22, 269-278.
- Edmondson, D., Chaudoir, S. C., Mills, M. A., Park, C. L., Holub, J., & Bartkowiak, J. M. (2011). From shattered assumptions to weakened worldviews: Trauma symptoms signal anxiety buffer disruption. Journal of Loss and Trauma, 16, 358-85.
- Edmondson, D., Rieckmann, N., Shaffer, J. A., Schwartz, J. E., Burg, M. M., Davidson, K. W., Clemow, L., Shimbo, D., & Kronish, I. M. (2011). Posttraumatic stress due to an acute coronary syndrome increases risk of 42-month major adverse cardiac events and all-cause mortality. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 45, 1621-26.
- Newman, J.D., Muntner, P., Shimbo, D., Davidson, K.W., Shaffer, J.A., & Edmondson, D. (2011). Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms predict delay to hospital in patients with acute coronary syndrome. PLoS One, 2011, 6, e27640.
- Edmondson, D., Park, C. L., Chaudoir, S. R., & Wortmann, J. (2008). Death without God: Religious struggle, death concerns, and depression in the terminally ill. Psychological Science, 19, 628-632.