Karina W. Davidson, Ph.D.
- Professor of Behavioral Medicine in Medicine, Cardiology, and Psychiatry
- Director, Center for Behavioral Cardiovascular Health, Columbia University Medical Center
- Associate Director, Columbia University Clinical & Translational Science Award (CTSA)
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology (1991), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- M.A.Sc., Industrial/Org Psychology (1987), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
- B.A. Hon. (1984), Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Dr. Karina Davidson's research focuses on biopsychosocial influences on cardiovascular disease. She was the Principal Investigator for one series of NHLBI studies (COPES) examining the etiologies, mechanisms and treatments by which depression confers prognostic risk in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS), and is also is Principal Investigator for a NHLBI-funded program project grant (PULSE) examining novel depression phenotypes and their pathophysiological and behavioral mechanisms underlying ACS recurrence risk. She is also conducting an NHLBI-funded randomized controlled trial to test which of two depression treatments improves survival in ACS patients. She has previously conducted randomized controlled trials on telephone-administered Problem-Solving Therapy for depression, hostility management, and improving constructive anger, and has also applied dose-finding methodologies to the development of behavioral interventions for patients with cardiovascular diseases. She has successfully mentored several junior faculty members from many disciplines and with differing scientific interests.
- Davidson KW, Schwartz JE, Kirkland SA, Mostofsky E, Fink D, Guernsey D, & Shimbo D. Relation of inflammation to depression and incident Coronary Heart Disease (from the Canadian Nova Scotia Health Survey [NSHS95] Prospective Population Study). Am J Cardiol. 2009; 103(6):755-761. PMCID: PMC2905847
- Davidson KW, & Mostofsky E. Anger expression and risk of coronary heart disease: Evidence from the Nova Scotia Health Survey. Am Heart J. 2010;159:199-206. PMCID: PMC2831051
- Davidson KW, Mostofsky E, & Whang W. Don’t worry, be happy: Positive affect and reduced 10-year incident coronary heart disease: The Canadian Nova Scotia Health Survey. Eur Heart J. 2010;31(9):1065-70. PMCID: PMC2862179
- Davidson KW, Rieckmann N, Clemow L, Schwartz JE, Shimbo D, Medina V, Albanese G, Kronish IM, Hegel M, Burg MM. Enhanced depression care for Acute Coronary Syndrome patients with persistent depressive symptoms. Coronary Psychosocial Evaluation Studies (COPES) randomized controlled trial. Arch Int Med. 2010;170(7):600-08. PMCID: PMC2882253
- Davidson KW, Burg MM, Kronish IM, Shimbo D, Dettenborn L, Mehran R, Vorchheimer D, Clemow L, Schwartz JE, Lespérance F, Rieckmann N. Association of anhedonia with recurrent major adverse cardiac events and mortality 1 year after acute coronary syndrome. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010;67(5):480-8. PMCID: PMC3058237.